Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell or Dawson for single stack?

818-DVC

Hello: I have tried most of the single stack magwells including the SVI, Smith and Alexander, Dawson Ice (gap and no-gap), and the Techwell SP. They all work really well but I just keep coming back to the Smith and Alexander and Techwell. That reminds me I should sell the SVI, Dawson Ice gap and no-gap :roflol: As they say I would pick one and practice. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard from multiple sources that the Dawson comes loose... at the worst times too, and can cause mags to jam up.

I went with the Techwell XT on my new 40 cal single stack... I modded my VZ grips to work with it.

I really think that neither is ideal without blending to the frame. I took a dremel to mine and opened the frame up/blended it to the magwell. Now its a much smoother/large cone shape(took the frame/magwell edge down) mags go right in, even if I miss bad. Before blending it I found that the mags had a good tendency of hitting the "edge" where the magwell met with the frame and bound up.... And of course after blending it, its bare aluminum which gets nicked up far easier than the anodizing that was on it before.

Your going to need longer basepads for it. I run 47NX mags with my 47DE pads(5/8") with the fronts rounded to fit.

Mike.

Edited by mikeg1005

I just put a dawson on my kimber gold match 2. Used the no gap and bought trip mags. Even with dawson pads I had to relieve the plastic a little so the pad didn't touch. Not a lot but still needed it. Haven't shot it but I have to say it is damn fast and hard to miss. I almost feel like its actually easier to stuff a single stack mag in this thing than my ice on my sti double stack. It's that good IMO.

I have the biggest TeckWell. I had to put .65 base pads on the mags and take them to the grinder and kock down the front of the mag or they wouldn't go in or come out. This limits the mags you can use.

I think if I had bought the smaller mag well I would be happier. I thinking of grinding it down.

I like being able to take the mag will off easily, then stuffing that baby in a carry holster.