Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 hates 223 and 38sc (or maybe just me)

sorry if i sound a bit frustrated in my video but this i killing me.

please watch teh video and let me know if i am operating the press too fast or too abruptly. at 1st i thought it was the press....but i have done everything that dillon has said. while making the video i got thinking maybe it is me....but it seems i have to operate it awfly slow to get it to feed reliably. what do you think?

here is the video:

thanks

eddie

Check and make sure the shellplate is snug. Mine run best when you can just feel the shell plate drag when indexing.

I also lightly roll/bevel the edges where the case gets inserted into the shellplate. It seems to make the cases feed much easier as there is some sharp edges.

Shell plate alignment, shell plate snug, & as Tom said, bevel the edges. I can process +2k per hour of 223 brass on mine, took a lot of tweeking, but it is possible. Keep futzing with it, you can and will get it dialed in.

jj

This is my experience as well. Easily get 2000 per hour on the processing head. My 223 shell plate has never been beveled but it has seen 100,000+ casings and is from the 80's so likely a little beveled already.

I know this is frusterating but it is still the best consumer grade machine on the market.

Where are you located? If you are close enough I will bring my shell plate over and see if it works better.

Retread.

I load 38sc had a little of the same problem. Took a dremel and roll the upper and lower edge of the shell plate at the corners where the brass goes in. Works great now no misfeeds in about 10,000 rounds

Edited by sauza45

Eddie, from the left side of the machine directly under the shell plate at station 5 there is a screw you can adjust with a small hex key to control the indexing of the plate on the upstroke. Screwing it clockwise will cause the upstroke to stop the shell plate indexing sooner - it may be that the shell plate is indexing just a hair too much and causing the brass to catch when the casefeeder spring is freed.

I had the same problem with 9x23. It uses the 223 shellplate.

It looks like the spring that pushes the case into the shellplate is weak. From the video, it looks like when you are going fast the piece on the toolhead that pushes the bar the back and forth is ahead of the bar. I replaced the spring with a 1911 recoil spring. It's tight as hell but it works.