Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning a titanium compensator

deano2246

I learned the trick of spraying it with Dillon case lube before shooting at each match. I have a small spray bottle and just spray it right in the comp from the top. Virtually no build up and carbon wipes right off of the outside of the comp after shooting. Also when I clean the gun I take 1000 grit sandpaper to the comp. Makes it shine like stainless. Also, Matt cleaned mine for me once with a small sandblaster with glass beads. The comp looked like brand new inside and out. Probably not something you want to do all the time but once a year or so......

Blasting it works great.

Vinegar/peroxide (peracetic acid) will loosen up the crud for hand scraping, still no fun though. I think if you soaked it long enough, and periodically freshened the solution, it might dissolve it all, but I'm too paranoid to try. Safe on stainless, appears to be safe on titanium, but don't even try it on a carbon steel comp.

I let my dirty comp soak in Kroil for a week, no effect. I'm sure that stuff is good for something, but this isn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a dremel with a ball tip cutter, amazing how much crap gets in a comp.

Safe on Stanless Steel, right, my wife put vinegar and water in a stainless steel coffe pot, in the moring the pot was empty, a zillion holes eaten thru it.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hey Coco, can you post a pics or a link of the Dremel ball tip cutter please..

Hey Coco, can you post a pics or a link of the Dremel ball tip cutter please..

The one I use looks like this one: http://www.dremel.co...il.aspx?pid=107

A GM buddy came over with his 9 major gun he was having bullets tumble etc. So I look down in the comp and the lead and caca is all the way up to the bore line. So fire up the dirmmel and the shit was flying the drimmel got so hot hand to put it down. 30 minutes later that looked like a new comp. The bullets didn't tumble anymore and we made a few other adjustments and the gun runs.

Edited by CocoBolo

i have used the lube one shot and had great success with it. I recently started using it on my 22 ruger open gun and it seems to be working once again. My 22 open get so much crap built up in it, hard to believe. It also gets real loud when those holes plug up. good luck

This stuff works great. http://www.jeep4x4ce...-4318001ad.html

Soak it overnight, or spray into a hot gun. Let rest for 10 min and shake out the excess and fire. The gunk gets blown out of the comp

As long as none gets on the threads I'm assuming? Comps are generally loctited on and will work loose if soaked in cleaners.

This stuff works great. http://www.jeep4x4ce...-4318001ad.html

Soak it overnight, or spray into a hot gun. Let rest for 10 min and shake out the excess and fire. The gunk gets blown out of the comp

As long as none gets on the threads I'm assuming? Comps are generally loctited on and will work loose if soaked in cleaners.

I have cleaned several comps and I am careful to NOT let any solution migrate to the threads.

Works wonders it does.

Wipeout will also work.