Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which barrel twist

Rye

A 1:24 is the most common barrel twist, in fact, that's the only twist that comes on the SVI 9mm barrels. As Eric mentioned above, for lighter bullets, the 1:32 is probably suited better for the lighter bullets but if you decide to change or are forced to change in the future, you will have accuracy problems. Some gunsmiths that I talked to recommended the 1:24 to me so that is what I went with on a few builds but I shoot mostly 124s.

Thanks Eric.

Gng4life, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the 1/24 twist? I also heard that you have to up your powder when you switch to 1/24... Is this if your coming from 1/16 twist or 1/32 twist? Thanks.

The gun is more accurate than me but I'm doing about 2" at 25. I'm sure it could do a little better with a good rest or in better hands but it's very accurate. I'm not sure about up'ing the powder for the twist rate but my loads are comparable to others but not sure what their twist rates are. Good luck!

A 1:24 is the most common barrel twist, in fact, that's the only twist that comes on the SVI 9mm barrels. As Eric mentioned above, for lighter bullets, the 1:32 is probably suited better for the lighter bullets but if you decide to change or are forced to change in the future, you will have accuracy problems. Some gunsmiths that I talked to recommended the 1:24 to me so that is what I went with on a few builds but I shoot mostly 124s.

Are the SV Infinity barrels gain twist?

Negative.

My STI has a very conventional 1/16 Nowlin barrel (fitted in 1995). More than one person has looked down the rifling and said it looks shot out. It put 5 Precision Delta 124s into 7/16" at 25 yards off a rest - last month. My old Caspian super also had a Nowlin 1/16, similar accuracy. Gain twist is one of several notions in barrel-making that I don't buy into, at all.

The biggest factor in accuracy is how well the smith fits the barrel. That said my 1/32 shoots 124gr as accurately as my 1/16, so maybe on paper it sounds good but at the range you may not have the paper with you.

I think it is like Blonde or Brunette, then for those that couldn't make up their mind they made the 24 or the red head.

Negative.

Gain twist is an option i thought, could swear sv had schumann set them up for aet barrels

Negative.

Gain twist is an option i thought, could swear sv had schumann set them up for aet barrels

I think that was a special in-house order for fully built guns but not as an option to buy as a "part" from SV...I think I remember something about Brandon saying that once.

SVI did use Schuemann barrels but not sure if they still do or not.. When building my 38 super, I wanted an AET Barrel coated like SVI. Wil Schuemann said that SVI used them but the coating companies were not consistent. This was many years ago. I bought a bare, 6" AET bull barrel which shoots lights out. It has the gain twist 1/32 rifling.