Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any help for a buddies ailing 1911?

jogan

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had any insight on my buddies 1911 problem. With anything more than 5 rounds in his mags, the bullet fails to feed. Ends up jammed below the feed ramp. Of course, every time this happens, his bullet o.a.l. gets a bit shorter! When he gets down to around 4 or 5 rounds, they feed no problem. When I took his mag out, I tried to "strip" a bullet off the top with the mag loaded. Just by pushing the bullet forward with my finger, I noticed the bullet nose-dives. It doesn't strip off "nose-up" like it's aligned in the mag, leading it to jam into the gun below the barrel. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

sounds like it could be as simple as trying different mags. I had similar problems till i tried tripps cobra research mags. now the only problems i get is when my mags get dirty. (fredericksburg sand has bitten me a couple times :angry:)

Mag might be assembled with the spring in backwards. Or could be bent in toward the front enough for the follower to drag. Suggest taking mag apart and inspecting closely.

Agree with the above, probably the mag. Try a few others and see if the problem remains with them.

Good thing you got the problem solved. But you may have a more serious issue to deal with. If the rounds are getting shorter when they bump the feed ramp, that's not good. You need to check the sizing die and make sure the inside diameter of the sized brass is at least a couple of thousandths smaller than the bullet OD. This is a common problem with .40 SW and some people think you can fix it by adding more crimp. That doesn't work. If you leave it as is, chances are you'll get a very unpleasant surprise somewhere down the road.

Or, to get more case grip on the bullet, polish the powder funnel and remove a couple of thousandths. This will enable the case to more tightly hold the bullet. Then, don't crimp, only remove the flare in the case mouth. Make the sides of the case parallel only.

Glad you got it fixed. Quality mags are MANDATORY for 1911's to properly run, something you really should put your money into. Dawson mags have worked great for me, as have Mec-gar and Wilso ETM's. Tripp and CMC are also great mags.

Or, to get more case grip on the bullet, polish the powder funnel and remove a couple of thousandths. This will enable the case to more tightly hold the bullet. Then, don't crimp, only remove the flare in the case mouth. Make the sides of the case parallel only.

This isn't going to help if the case isn't being sized down enough to start with, but it's a good idea to check both. The powder funnel shouldn't be expanding the case; it should only be belling the mouth a tiny bit to balance the bullet. If it is expanding the case, then you obviously need to fix that too. Crimp should match SAAMI spec, no more and no less.

Crimp only helps feed the bullet into the chamber, to much crimp accuracy may go away. Try setting crimp at .468 to .472, trying for .470. The first stage sizing die holds the bullet in the case. While I don't know which recoil spring comes into play but any 45 has a pretty good push closing the slide. A tight sizer is more critical. I'm a fan of Lee's sizing die design. It sizes closer to the extractor groove than other brands and a little tighter overall. Has an outstanding primer punch design that more times than not will just push up of something is in the case. I would try a carbide four die set. Midway runs them on sale several times a year and they are the cheapist dies out there. Lee's seating die has a turn knob on top that's simple to adjust for OAL. Odd shaped bullet, send Lee the bullet and they will cut a insert for your die that solves OAL problems. I use Lee's FCD die as a crimp die and not a full lenght last stage sizer.

Cheap magazines in a 1911 and your asking for problems. I like Wilson 47D's but any quality magazine should work. Here is a place you get what you pay for.