Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stag 3G Muzzle Brake Failure

mjs408

Putting this up to see if it happened to anybody else. Like it says in the title, Im not blaming Stag Arms. To me it looks like bad metallurgy in the bar stock the brake was machined from. The points where the metal broke appear to be sheared off not torn like a bullet strike.

I was at the range today working on reloads and second mag in this happened at some point. I didn't even notice it until I was empty.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/mjs_408/2012-11-07_20-13-38_350.jpg

2012-11-07_20-13-38_350.jpg

Well, I contacted Stag and sent them the above photo, they have a shipping label and RMA en route. They said they wanted the whole upper back to take a look at what happened. Thanks for the great customer service Stag!

I purchased a Stag 3 G rifle and immediately took the muzzle brake off. I returned it to Stag who promised to send back a new and improved muzzle brake. When I received the "New and improved" muzzle brake I took it to the range. It is now laying somewhere in the bottom of a canal. After spending several hundred dollars on different muzzle brakes I now have the Pri-Quiet and am very happy with it. It is lighter and quieter than the Titan and as you know the Stag 3 G is somewhat heavy so weight is an important factor. I still will ask, " Why hasn't Stag either come out with a good muzzle brake or use one of several good muzzle brakes manafactured by others ? The Stag 3 G is an excellent rifle but their muzzle brake turned me off Stags in general and I see that this is happening to others......................

Edited by Puma

• 1 month later...

I figured I should update with an outcome. It took me forever to update because it took me forever to send the upper in. Total time once shipped was 2 weeks door to door. They didnt offer much of an explanation, I was hoping for some details as to what they saw wrong with it because Im a nerd at heart.