Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modding CR Speed Versa pouches for IDPA?

NicVerAZ

I saw a fellow shooter with 2 CR Speed Versa pouches yesterday and when I asked if they were legal, I was told that what he did was replace the original adjustment screw with a regular flat end screw, flush with the magazine, as well as cover the hole for the allen wrench in the front with a piece of tape.

Is he stretching the rules?

• 1 month later...

Not sure where you are located but it very well could've been me that you spoke to about them. Just to give an update on the subject I wore the CR Speed Pouches at 9 IDPA major matches in 2012 and never got questioned about them once. In fact at the Pennsylvania match I had the opportunity to show the rig to Terry Burba himself and he said they were 100% legal. He also stated the tape over the hole was not needed so i yook it off. He laughed at the notion of even needing it there in the first place. I was shooting CDP that day so this was with the single stack mags too which are further out than the XDm mags I otherwise would use.

I can't say if that would fly or not since I don't see how it becomes any less accessible that way?? All I can comment on is that the configuration I used was specifically permitted and I took the screw out all together. I didn't want to press my luck any further ;)

Not sure where you are located but it very well could've been me that you spoke to about them. Just to give an update on the subject I wore the CR Speed Pouches at 9 IDPA major matches in 2012 and never got questioned about them once. In fact at the Pennsylvania match I had the opportunity to show the rig to Terry Burba himself and he said they were 100% legal. He also stated the tape over the hole was not needed so i yook it off. He laughed at the notion of even needing it there in the first place. I was shooting CDP that day so this was with the single stack mags too which are further out than the XDm mags I otherwise would use.

Unless your first name is Kurt, it was not you :)

I think the problem people have is that they are made for competition and there for "race gear".

Which would make it illegal in regards to the spirit of the game, but not by the rules.

A little bit like shooting an unnecessary make up shot on to go into slide lock or even competing with a 5+ inch barrel when the spirit is about self defense with a CCW pistol. A Glock 34 as a CCW? Seriously?

But it fits in the box...

A little bit like shooting an unnecessary make up shot on to go into slide lock or even competing with a 5+ inch barrel when the spirit is about self defense with a CCW pistol. A Glock 34 as a CCW? Seriously?

no different then carrying a 5" 1911..

couple years ago,had to stop in a raod block and when i presented my license and ccw permit to the officer,he joking asked "whats you packin" son,and a told him a Glock 34.. He then went off telling me thats the gun he has been saving for and asking all about it...Told him it was just an inch longer then his glock 22 and carries just the same..

Lot of shooters around here carry the Glock 35 also..

With regard to the thumb screw. Where in the rule book does it state that adjustable equipment is not allowed? Why would adjustable equipment not be suitable for all day concealed carry?

P32 of the rule book, section D and p34 section E for the holster.

P36 E through p39 (with addendums) covers the ammo carriers.

With regard to the thumb screw. Where in the rule book does it state that adjustable equipment is not allowed? Why would adjustable equipment not be suitable for all day concealed carry?

P32 of the rule book, section D and p34 section E for the holster.

P36 E through p39 (with addendums) covers the ammo carriers.

I just read all of that and I don't see anything prohibiting adjustable tension for mag carriers.

Page 36 Section A

"Magazine carrier must:

A. Be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day

continuous wear."

Nothing in there about adjustable tension. These are just as suitable as any other competition product that's used in IDPA including Comp Tac which is heavily pushed by IDPA.

And like I said in the other forum IDPA IS A COMPETITION! Everything that's used is competition gear; if you want training go to Front Sight. The timer and score keeper are there cuz its a game.

Everyone has to be getting tired of this same old BS by now....