Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo Speed Holster / Steel Challenge

alecmc

Firstly, This is not a WTB thread, I am looking for recommendations and options for some decent quality Speed holsters for Steel challenge.

Currently using a DAA Racemaster w/ my USPSA belt ( S&W 625 ) , but i'd like to keep a separate belt for steel challenge, New gun will be a S&W N-Frame 327 ( TRR8 ) , but i'm sure a 627 holster would work as well.

Thanks

Are you dissatisfied with the DAA holster?

Somewhat, My 625 is very loose in it, it shakes front to back 1/4" , Upon re-holster it typically doesn't engage the lock, and I have to pull the little bolt upwards in the back. It's ooo-kkkk, I wouldn't mind using it - But I am hoping there are some better options out there.

i bought a blade tech speed rig d/os for my 625. I got it a week or so before nationals and haven't had a single issue with the holster and haven't really had a problem adjusting to it. only real problem was the wait to get it...

Somewhat, My 625 is very loose in it, it shakes front to back 1/4" , Upon re-holster it typically doesn't engage the lock, and I have to pull the little bolt upwards in the back. It's ooo-kkkk, I wouldn't mind using it - But I am hoping there are some better options out there.

I love my CR Speed holsters. Also check out Protocol Design's universal holster he is a vendor here and is excellent to deal with.

I use a Ghost with my 625 in USPSA, it hasn't failed me all year (not that I'm running super-fast, but I'm very active pasting and resetting steel!) :roflol:

It holds the gun very securely but I wouldn't say it holds it tight. The trigger guard is locked in for sure, I have no doubt the velcro on my belt or the mounting screws there would bust loose before the gun would come out of the holster when locked. There are little white screw studs that you adjust to just barely make contact with the gun when it's in place. I had to back them out a touch more or it was a hassle to re-holster. As a result there is a tiny bit of wiggle fore and aft when the gun is locked in the holster, but that's just how it's resting -- in no way is in insecure. Lock-tite on the belt mounting screws is a must; I came close to a really bad problem when 3 of the 4 screws backed out in the middle of a match and I didn't notice until it was almost too late. Fortunately the awesome Shooter's Connection stocks parts, added them to the website for me, and had them at my house in 2 days.

I've found the 3-position lock on the holster to be useful and functional. For seated starts I put it in the quick unlock setting so my middle finger can sweep the lock off as I grasp the grip, and the gun is free. Otherwise from the normal unlock position the gun just magically appears in my hand as I draw (very slowly and deliberately, but that's just my skill level).

I use the Hoeppner & Schumann Speed Sec holster which is sold by Competitive Edge Dynamics. It fits all calibers of K, L and N frames very solidly and only uses the trigger guard for lockup.

Edited by TonyT

When you say you could never get your Speed Sec tight enough that it didn't move around are you talking about moving on your belt? If so I solved that problem with two small set screws on the belt loop part of the holster. Just drill a very small hole and screw the set screw into the belt thru your holster belt loop.

When you say you could never get your Speed Sec tight enough that it didn't move around are you talking about moving on your belt? If so I solved that problem with two small set screws on the belt loop part of the holster. Just drill a very small hole and screw the set screw into the belt thru your holster belt loop.

No, on the cant adjustment and the holster/rod interface. It just liked to shift.

Matt - The Safariland 002 is a good holster, but as #343 said there is no adjustment unless you get creative. Ages ago I used one for both USPSA and steel shooting and never had any doubts about retention security, and felt the draw was plenty quick. Used the same holster for a 6" 686 and a 5" 625 (IPSC 1989 model). There are sexier revolver holsters out there, but the 002 will get the job done. Another option to use your Safariland 1/2 off coupon might be the new 014. Been using one for open and I like it a lot. Super adjustable and super secure. I heard they are going to come out with one for revolvers, not sure if it is available yet or not. I tried a S&W and it won't fit the 014 designed for the 1911/2011/CZ guns.

Attached are pics of a 686 with an old PDP3 reddot and a 625 in the same cup challenge holster.

post-9934-0-82470800-1351732949_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-57898200-1351732967_thumb.jp

I use a CR Speed holster for my 627, when I shoot steel challenge and falling steel matches. I also have one for my 625. The holster is a very adjustable and seems very secure. I also like having the lock on the holster, added security when moving between stages, painting steel and resetting steel. All in all, I am very happy with my CR speed holsters. Matt :)

Edited by matt625

1351173850[/url]' post='1803674']
1351171368[/url]' post='1803650']
1351169486[/url]' post='1803633']

I love my CR Speed holsters. Also check out Protocol Design's universal holster he is a vendor here and is excellent to deal with.

Sold my CR Speed after I got a holster from Warren (ProtocolDesigns). It is simple, secure and works with all my revolvers. Money well spent.

1351173850[/url]' post='1803674']
1351171368[/url]' post='1803650']
1351169486[/url]' post='1803633']

Sold my CR Speed after I got a holster from Warren (ProtocolDesigns). It is simple, secure and works with all my revolvers. Money well spent.

I ended up buying 3 CR speed holsters, one for autos and two for revolvers with different length barrels. I like the CR Speed holsters but I could have saved a lot of money buying just one of Warren's holsters. I bought my holsters before Warren's was on the market. Smart buy on your part.

Edited by toothguy

• 3 weeks later...