Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter needing Pearls of Wisdom

biscuit

I’m a new shooter as I picked up my first pistol 12 months ago literally my first time to shoot a pistol. I've competed in 2 USPSA sectionals what a rush and a ton of local matches shooting production "C". I'm 50 years old meaning the eyes and wheels just aren't what they use to be, which means running with the young guns is quite a challenge. I want to upgrade my gun which could mean a change in division. I was fortunate enough to shoot with some great single stack shooter in my last sectional who were older but I'm trying to evaluate if that’s the best direction for me. Any suggestions? Pro/Cons or is there a better option for a older new shooter?? I am open to any suggestion if optics like open would help great I just don't know?

I’m a new shooter as I picked up my first pistol 12 months ago literally my first time to shoot a pistol. I've competed in 2 USPSA sectionals what a rush and a ton of local matches shooting production "C". I'm 50 years old meaning the eyes and wheels just aren't what they use to be, which means running with the young guns is quite a challenge. I want to upgrade my gun which could mean a change in division. I was fortunate enough to shoot with some great single stack shooter in my last sectional who were older but I'm trying to evaluate if that’s the best direction for me. Any suggestions? Pro/Cons or is there a better option for a older new shooter?? I am open to any suggestion if optics like open would help great I just don't know?

Move to open, the sights are so much easier!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find some one who will let you try a c-more on a open gun and you will see.

I primarily shoot in Open because it's so much easier with old eyes :surprise:

I've been dabbling in Production lately and to see the front sight clearly, I've put a stick on +1.25 reading lens on my right lens. I can see the sights clearly and still see the target. This is way cheaper than buying an open gun.

Main reason for me to shoot in open is not having to reload when I compete in other states than my home state (10 rd limit). It's great to be able to complete a course of fire with no reload or one reload.

If you decide to go the open gun route, you will want to (eventually) get a complete rig for that gun in addition to your production set up.

if you want a new gun get whatever YOU like but keep in mind that you can't buy better scores. If you can see the sights and the gun goes bang when you pull the trigger the gun is not holding you back. Your choice may also depend on what the guys you shoot with ate shooting and if you want to compete head to head with them in the same division. You said you started shooting a year ago and are shooting "C" class in production that's not bad.

Mike

what do you want to do? spend money and tinker? or improve your skills?

I'm in a similar position to you (51 y.o., started shooting a year ago). Production appeals to me because it's cheap, and because my competition gun is the same layout and ergo's and controls as my carry/defense gun.

I personally am not looking to be 1st overall, or pick a small enough and uncompetitive enough division that I can win that division; I'm looking to improve, so if my classifier percentages are going up, and if my percentages of the top few shooters scores are going up, and my placings are gradually getting higher (but still nowhere near the top of the overall), then I'm enjoying myself and I know I'm improving.

I'd try a few different other people's guns, and make your choice based on what sounds like fun, then stick with that and focus on practice and learning and improving.

I've been dabbling in Production lately and to see the front sight clearly, I've put a stick on +1.25 reading lens on my right lens. I can see the sights clearly and still see the target. This is way cheaper than buying an open gun.

Main reason for me to shoot in open is not having to reload when I compete in other states than my home state (10 rd limit). It's great to be able to complete a course of fire with no reload or one reload.

If you decide to go the open gun route, you will want to (eventually) get a complete rig for that gun in addition to your production set up.

I was thinking that maybe that is the route to go. What do you suggest for an open gun and rig. My accuracy and technical skill are ok it just takes me longer to zero in on the front sight. I love to compete and the years have taught me to use whatever edge I can get. To be honest I have put a lot of time and some money into to being the best I can be and I think open guns are just cool I'm just not around alot of them though so I'm pretty ignorant of them.

what do you want to do? spend money and tinker? or improve your skills?

I'm in a similar position to you (51 y.o., started shooting a year ago). Production appeals to me because it's cheap, and because my competition gun is the same layout and ergo's and controls as my carry/defense gun.

I personally am not looking to be 1st overall, or pick a small enough and uncompetitive enough division that I can win that division; I'm looking to improve, so if my classifier percentages are going up, and if my percentages of the top few shooters scores are going up, and my placings are gradually getting higher (but still nowhere near the top of the overall), then I'm enjoying myself and I know I'm improving.

I'd try a few different other people's guns, and make your choice based on what sounds like fun, then stick with that and focus on practice and learning and improving.

Thank you for your input. You know I do try to keep prespective of steady improvement and my classifiers are improving and I have no delusions of ever taking my division in certain matches. But I use to be an IT guy, one who understood Microsoft but didn't thrive in it then I found Cisco internetworking I got that technology. I thrived and exceled beyond my wildest dreams cause it was in my wheel-house I got it. I'm just wondering if theres a division besides production that suits my skills and abilites better than Prod. Don't get me wrong I love production I'm actually more competetive in IDPA but I love the flexiblity and free thinking of USPSA. I like to compete in major matches, and it cost time and money and I want to be the best I can be with that effort. Also not to count about 10 hours a week practice and phyical training to improve my game. I'm just trying to find my Wheel-house in USPSA, again no delusion of taking first but daggum I can try.

I think open guns are cool I'm not around them so I'm pretty ignorant of them.

Order a STI TruBor, in 9mm, from Brazos - c. $2700; get yourself 3 - 140 mm and

1 170 mm magazines - get holster/belt/mag holders from Brazos - add a slide

racker = get reloading equipment & chrono - and You're all Set :cheers:

Once you've shot OPEN, you can't go back - too much fun.

While you're at it, get a 1 or 2 day lesson from a Master ... worth every

penny of it.

Jack

From reading your posts, I believe you would do well in open. Because, open gives you the flexibility on a stage due to the higher capacity mag and taking riskier shots for a higher reward (using the dot is easier than aligning the sights). As in this years nationals, some targets only offered the top half to shoot at if you weren't fast enough to get it before the no shoot appeared.

Shooting in production, for me, is limiting due to the limited mag capacity, less than ideal trigger pull and having to line up the sights to the target. Some people see that as a challenge instead of a limitation. Remember, I have to shoot in a 10 round only state so imagine my joy when I am able to fully utilize the capacity of my mags :D . It's like going to TX and being able to drive at 75mph on the highways :goof: .

Not saying you will immediately shoot better in open because there is a bit of learning to see the dot on every presentation to a target, especially when using a C-More vs. a tube sight. With your practice and training schedule, you will adapt quickly.

As for gear, there are many options and opinions here. Ask around and most open shooters will tell you to get one of those "bikini" holsters (i.e. DAA Race Master; Ghost; Guga Ribas; etc) they all work well so buy the one you like (most likely you will end up getting several). Mag pouches are pretty basic and whatever you get you will get use to.

These are just my opinions on open.