Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should my 9mm reloads be "skinny" in the middle

Jimbo76

Just ran my first batch of 9mm reloads throught the Dillon 650. Once fired cases and PD 124g JHPs. They appear to be thinner in the middle ? Is this normal? I am using a load idea from this forum, Power Pistol..5.4 to 6 grains. I purchased the once fired cases online and they were tumbled but not sure if they were sized. All Dillon Carbide dies. They easily pass the gage they just look a little weird. Is this normal ? Case is wide at the bullet and primer end and a little "bow" in the middle that looks a little narrower ?

Only normal on a Dillon press. Hornady LNL doesn't do it.

How is that so? The dies are what do the sizing, not the press. I run a U-die and could put it on a LEE single stage press and the results would be the same as on my 650.

I'm curious.

What CeeZer said may be true...

IMHO most die makes use a simple carbide ring to construct their sizing die. This is perfect for true straight wall cases like 38 Super, but on 9x19 it pushes the middle of the case inward, instead of retaining the slight taper. As stated above, it really doesn't hurt anything, it just produces the "coke bottle" look after the case mouth is expanded back out.

However, Hornady advertises that their carbide for the 9x19 is actually tapered internally. That would make it the only tapered carbide I'm aware of.

So the "coke bottle" or "wasp waist" look is probably a by-product of the single-diameter carbide ring being pushed down over a tapered surface. If you use an older set of non-carbide dies, such as the ones still offered by Redding, there is no "coke bottle" look.

:mellow: