Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why / Why not use Magnum SS Primers

Trident

I started reloading right after Obama was elected. I couldn't find any ammo to buy. Of course there was also a problem finding components. All Powder Valley had was the magnum in SP. Last year I did buy a brick of the WSP, and saw a drop of less than 20 ft. per second. Either one is fine.

Why / Why not use Magnum SP Primers.

I have always loaded with SSP. Just looking for an education here.

There are many possible problems with shooting magnum primers in small cases that only need standard.

However, if it is an emergency and if you are will to take a risk over small dangers and if you are willing to work up a load from at least the lowest starting load you can find and you know how to estimate pressure, it will probably be all right.

It is unlikely that you or your gun will be damaged very quickly if you are careful.

I've seen a lot of references for the use of magnum primers with HS-6 and other slow powders in 9mm for more consistent ignition.

Also a lot of .38 Super recipes call for magnum primers.

Some magnum primers like Rem 5-1/2's are supposed to have identical power to their 1-1/2's. The 5-1/2's just use thicker cups to protect against pierced primers in hot loads.

In my .38 Supers:

1) magnum primers increase velocity spread and increase group size

2) standard small rifle primers work better, but they are very difficult for my light trigger guns to ignite

Thus, since even at the high end where I still feel safe, standard primers are still the best choice for me in my guns.