Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

B&P slugs

Romans 13 4

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a case (200 count) of B&P I bought a year or two ago. I pulled one of the rounds apart and measured the slug....slightly less than 7/8 oz.

Are they really packing a 1 oz. slug in this new batch now? Hopefully so....I found that my SLP, after it got a little dirty, didn't reliably cycle the 7/8 oz. version.

A friend of mine just bought some of these slugs (the new ones), and told me that they would not cycle his action. He has a Benelli M1 that is set up for the open class, has a Taran Tactical lightened bolt, and just came back from C-Rums for a make over. Does anyone have any ideas why these don't work in his gun? He says that the gun functions fine with birdshot.

Yeah...well, the web site said they were 1 oz. a couple of years ago....that is why I kept asking. Joer...thanks for taking the time to cut one open.

The below data was copied from the review (on my web site) that I did a couple of years ago. I used my FNH SLP Mk1 and a PACT chronograph

# of Shots: 5

Lowest Velocity: 1156 FPS

Highest Velocity: 1177 FPS

Average Velocity: 1168 FPS

Standard Deviation: 8.2 FPS

Grouping: 2.4" @ 50 yds

Barrel Choke: Improved Cylinder

Edited by arizona98tj

A friend of mine just bought some of these slugs (the new ones), and told me that they would not cycle his action. He has a Benelli M1 that is set up for the open class, has a Taran Tactical lightened bolt, and just came back from C-Rums for a make over. Does anyone have any ideas why these don't work in his gun? He says that the gun functions fine with birdshot.

Not enough inertia. Try a heavier bolt or a lighter gun.

It is often better to be correct in the answer given than to understand the answer. Let us all reflect on the subtle intricacies of the inertia action, specifically how the whole Force=Mass x Acceleration equation relates to low powered slugs and porky open shotguns.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

B and P's communication is horrible. Never received an email answer from them but one bright and shiny morning the UPS driver showed up with a case of slugs. Then, couple of days later, another case showed up. Credit card got double tapped for the ammo. Hope they work in my shotty

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a case to try, and the invoice that was attached was for somebody in a different state, but, they did charge my card.

I took some to the range and tried them in my Firebird, which has been running 2 3/4 dram, light trap loads, and Remington managed recoil slugs flawless, since getting it back from Jim the last time. They are the lightest recoil slugs I've ever fired, and I had at least 50% failure to eject out of my Firebird. I'm thinking that they won't run in my JP open 1100 either because Remington managed recoil run right at the edge, but, I think they will run in my Benelli M2.

The next time I go to the range, I'm going to try them in the other two shotguns.

• 2 months later...