Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How hard to install extended mag release 2011?

Forgetful

I'm looking to buy a sti edge 2011 or something similar but I have short thumbs. Meaning with my Glock and CZ I have to rotate the gun to active the mag release. It's not just a little shift, I really dislike doing it. I've seen extended mag releases like in the below pictures.

www.americanshootersedgeonline.com/sti4x40magreleaseoversizedmagbuttonblued.aspx

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/kgunz11/FGW%20Pistol%20Builds/Spartan2Large.jpg

How hard are these to install on a stock edge/2011? I'd like to do the work myself if possible since due to budget.

Added extended with button on my1911, see dawson precision for a drilled and tapped, should be easy for you to do. I went back to std after getting 10-8 performance grips with a large thumb groove that is cut in them. Not sure what your 2011 options would be.

Added extended with button on my1911, see dawson precision for a drilled and tapped, should be easy for you to do. I went back to std after getting 10-8 performance grips with a large thumb groove that is cut in them. Not sure what your 2011 options would be.

You might also be interested in the "right side" mag release by Jimmy Mitchell.

http://www.bulletworks.com/Mag_catch.html

It's a lot faster and easier than using the standard or extended thumb release.

I've wondered about if 1911s could do that since I shoot/carry hks a bit and their mag release is absolutely my favorite, so fast and easy for my short fingers. I'll have to get a 2011 first and see how ergonomic it is shooting left handed.

I do like the mag over insertion block on the Dawson system though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have 3 different Dawson Posi-Lock mag releases in my 2011's.

No issue with over-insertion with 140mm mags.

I got them after a friend broke my ejector on my Edge.

The previous owner of my Tactical broke the ejector on that gun before I got it.

Installation is easy, and Dawson includes a screwdriver with the mag release.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info everyone. The pos lock seems like the best thing for me. Especially since I might dabble in lim10 whenever I get a 2011. I guess I need some grams followers too in order to ensure lock back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my 2011 and while the mag release isn't is bad as I feared I'm sure going to check out all the great options. I've tried the Michelle and that won't work well for me, my fingers seem to have limited mobility for that style.

I love being able to modify my gun so it works for ME. Good bye production for a while.

When I first installed the Posi-lock it cracked my grip and shot away the screw. It had a .20 offset compared to the stock so it didn't lock all the way down in the slot.

Very un-cool thing to happen 2 days before a match... So measure the total width before installing a new mag catch.