Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

elliptical machine

tanfogliocoe

Time means nothing without knowing/seeing the intensity level.

I see soccer moms at the gym on the elliptical for 2 hours straight, reading a book. Intensity level = weak.

On the other hand you may see another person doing HIIT (interval training) at a high resistance for 15 minutes and get much more of a better workout.

I don't know about a mach.but I walk every morning,around my block where I live,it's just 1.5 miles around and I do each lap in 24-26 minutes.always make 3 to 4 trips around. works for me,,

bad weather regular treadmill which I hate...........

• 3 weeks later...

Ellipticals are great specially if you have ankle issue as the machine is a very low impact on your lower body. My usual cooldown after a workout is about 20mins at 80rpms with a pretty fair resistance. I don't usually concern myself on the "distance traveled" and more focus on maintaining RPMs. I find that at 80rpms I can keep my heart rate up to 70% of my known MaxHR. If you want to challenge yourself even further and if the machine is capable of it program it for hills and try to stay in +5/-5 RPM range of your normal pace. You could also pedal backwards to get the glutes more involved, but I tend not to do this as the motion of moving backwards on a elliptical is not natural and also this is my cooldown routine.

Ellipticals are great specially if you have ankle issue as the machine is a very low impact on your lower body. My usual cooldown after a workout is about 20mins at 80rpms with a pretty fair resistance. I don't usually concern myself on the "distance traveled" and more focus on maintaining RPMs. I find that at 80rpms I can keep my heart rate up to 70% of my known MaxHR. If you want to challenge yourself even further and if the machine is capable of it program it for hills and try to stay in +5/-5 RPM range of your normal pace. You could also pedal backwards to get the glutes more involved, but I tend not to do this as the motion of moving backwards on a elliptical is not natural and also this is my cooldown routine.

I've been using three different elliptical machines at the gym and have noted that the distance measurements and calories burned numbers are never consistent across all three given the same time interval and average pace(even with two being the same model and manufacturer).