Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with a competition belt

Sheperd80

So i kinda screwed myself. I started out with a wilderness instructor style belt at 1.75" for ipsc/idpa. Then i ordered custom mag holders at 1.75" to go with it. It works OK but the mags sit real close to my love handles.

Now that im a super amazing elite competition master (done 4 matches lol) im looking at a double belt velcro setup like CR speed or DAA, but everything im finding is 1.5". I even looked at some Bianchi tactical type of stuff but thats all 2".

Anyone know of a good 1.75" velcro outer that wont require me to replace all my mag holders? As a last resort i might have to go with the Safariland ELS style but id much rather go with velcro.

Thanks for any help.

Anyone know of a good 1.75" velcro outer that wont require me to replace all my mag holders? As a last resort i might have to go with the Safariland ELS style but id much rather go with velcro.

The Safariland ELS outer belt is 1.75". It is velcro lined so you can use it as a traditional inner/outer belt set-up.

Another option is the DSG Arms Competition belt. They are 1.75" inner and outer.

Good luck,

-Randy

The Safariland ELS outer belt is 1.75". It is velcro lined so you can use it as a traditional inner/outer belt set-up.

Another option is the DSG Arms Competition belt. They are 1.75" inner and outer.

Good luck,

-Randy

Oh didnt realize the els had velcro. Interesting. And it leaves the option open in the future for using the actual els system with different gear.

That dsg looks nice but pretty pricey.

Has anyone used this?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=111242/pid=54744/Product/Competition-Belt

Mentioning price.

Consider that you will outspend the cost of a belt in ammo alone in under 2 weeks max if you are practicing on a consistent basis.

Everytime I catch myself thinking of pinching pennies for support equipment I use the ammo thought process. I have no issue throwing a couple hundred bucks of ammo a month. Why shy from spending good money on a good product and only have to do it once.

Well, if you can't quite justify the cost of a new rig, I'd go with epoxying a 1/4" thick spacer in what you have. Maybe sell what you have in the classified section and buy the new rig?

Edited by kmca

Top quality material and workmanship

Industrial strength Velcro of the highest standard

Both inner and outer belt have their size clearly tagged

Competition width 1.5”, to fit with all shooting gear used

Overlap length is already calculated in – so if you are a size 36” pant – you order a size 36” belt

An attractive and functional safety loop is included with every belt, carrying an embroidered “AA” logo

As already stated the Safariland ELS belt is 1.75 inches and is velcro backed just like a CR Speed. Order the Safariland inner belt and you are good to go. If you have a CR Speed inner belt it will work fine.

I have both a CR Speed belt and a ELS and will probably sell the CR Speed belt. The ELS belt is really nice.

Marty

A-7424

That dsg looks nice but pretty pricey.

Has anyone used this?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=111242/pid=54744/Product/Competition-Belt

Mentioning price.

Consider that you will outspend the cost of a belt in ammo alone in under 2 weeks max if you are practicing on a consistent basis.

Everytime I catch myself thinking of pinching pennies for support equipment I use the ammo thought process. I have no issue throwing a couple hundred bucks of ammo a month. Why shy from spending good money on a good product and only have to do it once.

What a great point!

When I switched this year to the ELS Belt and 014 holster I retrofitted my Safariland mag pouches that I purchased for my open gun in 1993. Buy the good stuff and then you only cry once! This stuff never really wears out.

Prior to that I used an Ernie Hill Jet Holster from 1993-2009. Switched to a Safariland 013 in 2010 and the 014 this year. The Jet and the 013 still work fine.

Marty

A-7424

Original Instructor Belt was developed in 1983 and has been refined ever since, now offering higher quality and more options than ever. It is a very strong belt with a specially designed carbon steel V-ring buckle coated with non-glare black *Roguard, a tough milspec finish which is highly corrosion-resistant and will not chip like cheaper coatings. The belt was originally designed to clip into a secure system while "instructing" others in high places during mountain rescue training, although they can be used for emergency rappelling with proper training. Our belts have also proven to be a fantastic everyday pants belt for casual or outdoor use, as well as concealed-carry.

generic ink cartridge

One other thing I have noticed now that I have worn the ELS for about 8 matches.... unlike the DAA, there is far less dead space around the back of the belt because it is too rigid. the ELS while strong, is able to wrap and contour to your body very well.

Started using an ELS belt (and an 014) a few months ago and have been nothing but happy with it. Very comfortable belt with lots of set-up options.

I have been using the DAA belt system for 3 gun. When loaded up, there isn't much velcro left to grip and hold the belt in place so I am fighting to keep it sticking to the inner belt. Am getting ready to order the Safariland ELS. Saw it in operation at the last few matches and I think it is the way to go. I just have to see if there is a way to attach the race holster and mag holders to the ELS clips. Am ordering today and will post the results when I get them mounted.

Paul

I have been using the DAA belt system for 3 gun. When loaded up, there isn't much velcro left to grip and hold the belt in place so I am fighting to keep it sticking to the inner belt. Am getting ready to order the Safariland ELS. Saw it in operation at the last few matches and I think it is the way to go. I just have to see if there is a way to attach the race holster and mag holders to the ELS clips. Am ordering today and will post the results when I get them mounted.

Paul

Which holster and which mag pouches?

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

Put velcro on the back side of your mag pouch belt loops, so they'll stick to your inner belt.

McMaster has some industrial strength velcro with a really strong adhesive back. It takes pliers and a vice to get it off my holders, if I make a mistake and misplace it and it's sold either combined, or hook or loop separately :)