Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading 38 super comp brass

g mac

Hello: How many times can you reload 38 super comp brass(from open gun running major about 170PF)? Thanks

I have no idea. Loading with N105 I have some brass that has gone 20+ reloads. You will most likely lose them before you would have to toss them.

as stated above. i use n105 and loose it before haveing to throw it away. the only 38sc brass that i have thrown away was my fault in the reloading process. (not lined up with the sizeing die... crunch)

I usually loose mine before I have to throw it away.

I ALWAYS do....or kill it with the press and a sideways bullet :roflol:

Running AA#7 at 175pf more than 20+ until it splits. Running TrueBlue at 168pf 3 times, so if you are running something that produces a lot of pressure then nope it won't last long. Keep a watch out for primers in the tumbler, or test loaded rounds by shaking them in a bag if the primers fall out well its spent. So the real answere is it depends. I roll mine in a case pro before every loading, just in case I picked up one of yours by mistake.

Summary so far:

1) will loose'em first

2) depends on the load (powder, PF, etc)

3) until it cracks

4) until primer pocket gets too loose to hold primer

5) it depends

I am using Starline brass, Ramshot Silhoeutte, IMR4756, sometimes HS6

@GrumpyOne: I have also seen 38 super brass that the headstamp markings were almost gone, but still were ok to reload. I also noticed some that the cartridge rims were dinged up really bad (maybe cause by somebody's bad extractor or ejector), and were causing failure to feed, so tossed'em. If not dinged up that bad, I try to file'em smooth back, and it works.

@GrumpyOne: I have also seen 38 super brass that the headstamp markings were almost gone, but still were ok to reload. I also noticed some that the cartridge rims were dinged up really bad (maybe cause by somebody's bad extractor or ejector), and were causing failure to feed, so tossed'em. If not dinged up that bad, I try to file'em smooth back, and it works.

I got me a CasePro to roll size first, it does the rim too, then load. Now I don't have any problems with brass being shaved when sizing.

For a small fee I can roll size your brass ;)