Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Powder

mike l m

I've used Clays for steel loads, in .38 Super. The load is light: 4.3g, with 124 JHP, and CCI SR primers. I like it much better than full Major loads for steel and it has been 100% reliable, using a 8lb spring in a Shorty format.

You will get about a bazillion people that will advise you not to use Clays in the 9. Clays does best in low pressure loads (45ACP, shotgun, etc.) but the 9mm is high pressure. Should be ok if you stay with low velocities but don't try to push it. I was using Clays in my 9 load for a while but had trouble stabilizing a 147gr so I switched to a more conventional 9mm powder. Love Clays in the 45 but don't miss it in the 9.

Sorry for the delay. 1 inch groups at 25 yds are common with CLAYS in 45 with 230gr bullets, FMJ or lead.

Using CLAYS in the 9mm in 115 or 124 when I tried it I got a somewhat circular group with a couple of flyers around the group, kinda like shooting buckshot at 15-20 yds. When you can switch to Titegroup and get a cluster to one hole groups with it in 9mm, and use it for major in .40 and .45 I have to give it the nod. If you are ok with that level of accuracy then go for it.

CLAYS, IMHO is much better for major .45, but if you are looking for one powder I would get Titegroup first, then SOLO 1000, then W231/HP38.

Hope this helps!

DougC

"ceezer" on this forum uses 3.6gr of Clays with 124gr Berry plated, I believe. I think he gets ~129 PF.

I used 3.2gr with 135gr Bayou bullets and get about ~128 PF -- very accurate. I'm going to try Solo 1000 next.

Best thing to do is to try it in your gun and see what it actually does for you.

+ 1

I get around 3" groups at 25 yds off a rest with clays and FMJ or moly bullets, but if I do my part groups shrink to 1" with JHP and Clays. Chrono results give a higher SD than other powders, but if you are looking to keep it simple and stock 1 powder, try Clays it might be acceptable. Just wish I could get away with only 1 powder.....

I've only been shooting USPSA since May, but here is my go to load based on a local production Master's recommendation:

-Glock G17 stock

-3.6 gr Clays (he says he only needs 3.3 in a G34 to reach minor)

-124 gr PD JHP

-Federal #100 primers

-Range brass (but tested in WIN)

-1.135" COL

Average 1030 fps (83 degrees, 67% humidity, SE WI) = 127.7 PF

Off-hand groups at 15 yards = average of 3"

Measures ok in Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Measures well in the Lee Auto Disk Pro Powder Measure.

happy shooting, dv

Edited by dustyvarmint

"ceezer" on this forum uses 3.6gr of Clays with 124gr Berry plated, I believe. I think he gets ~129 PF.

I used 3.2gr with 135gr Bayou bullets and get about ~128 PF -- very accurate. I'm going to try Solo 1000 next.

Yes I do, here is load data I came up with:

Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of us have been loading 3.7 - 3.8gr of Clays behind a 124gr .356 FMJ bullet for our 5" 8-shot 38 super revolvers in ICORE. Let me tell you. It is the "sweetest" thing you've ever felt. Clean as a whistle, and it will "drive tacks". I would at least be willing to "give it a shot" in a low velocity(minor) 9X19.

Edited by letsdrum