Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best starter comp gun for 13y/o

Dad

My son has been shooting in some .22 steel matches(doing very well) and want to graduate up.

We think, just for his age and size we should stay with a 9mm.

Any suggetions on what to get him?

He has not decided on type of comp, just knows he wants to move up.

Thanks

A glock 34/17 in 9mm is a nice way to go. The 17 if the budget is tight or the 34 if its not quite as tight. If your looking the USPSA route, I would add good sights, and a 13 pound recoil spring. You could also add some dawson/arrdonodo etc base pads and make the gun a 23+1 round gun and shoot limited. That way, he gets to shoot with less to worry about such as stage planning etc. Other possible additions would be a magwell and a little upgrade to the trigger(unless 34 which has the lighter connector to begin with).

If he goes to production later, simply remove the basepads and magwell if you added on and your set for production. The advantage with limited minor over production is limited offers much less stage breakdown and allows him to concentrate more on his shooting than breaking down a stage, reloading all the time etc. With limited its 1 reload and there is room for extra shots if need be.

Brian, good to stay with what he knows:

1. steel comp =

2. single action trigger (I presume his .22 has a

single action trigger)

To branch out to other types of competitions, there

is a big advantage for him to stay with what YOU are

familiar, so you can guide him - if you currently

shoot IDPA, or USPSA, that would be a great place

for him to start.

Best to start out with YOUR guns, and YOUR comps -

that makes it easier (travel time, guns, ammo

and instruction) ...

As YOU branch out to new types of guns or comps,

take him with you.

Great idea to get him involved now ... :cheers:

Well I shoot a little, no comps for me.

The only other hand gun I have is a Dan Wesson .357 with 8inch barrel, I have been shooting for many years though.

He doe shoot it pretty well with .38's, but I think maybe a little big for

fast shootin.

Thanks

His age really has nothing to do with it.

His stature, hand, chest, arm, core and upper body strength have a lot more to do with it.

Also, is preferences, what he is familiar with and what will motivate him to train.

Bottomline: There is no shortcut. He needs to handle and shoot a lot of guns to figure it out. Check out other people's gear, go to the gun stores and fondle stuff, and enjoy the time together. Be SLOW to buy. Figure it out first.

My 12 year old daughter shoots single stack minor and absolutely loves it. She has practiced mag changes a lot and gets faster all the time. Breaking down the stages for 10 rounds is still a little difficult sometimes but I'm running production so I'm looking at the stages with her and there are always a lot of experienced shooters at the matches to help us both out. This tiny little girl is a big example of how important grip and stance can be. She has even starting shooting the strong hand/weak hand strings. For awhile she was just taking the penalties and shooting freestyle. She is sticking with 9 minor for USPSA but at the range she has shot 40 and even a couple 45's. When she was ready to try something bigger than a .22 we took her to the local range and she went though a lot of the full size 9's on their rental wall and the steel frame 1911 is where she felt most comfortable. If your son thinks a comp is fun that's great but I wouldn't assume he needs one just because of his age. I would get as many different guns in his hands as possible and see what is most comfortable and fun for him.

Hope to see our kids competing for top junior someday! :)

Chrisyine,

I am sorry I shorted Comp for competition not compensator.

I am not worried about his age, he has good overall body strength( been playing contact football for 5 years), I am just concerned about addition joint damage/development.

Thanks All

all information welcom

Hello: I would pick a pistol that fits his hand in 9mm. The Glock 34, XDM or a S&W M&P. I would then get mag extensions so he could shoot limited minor. Less reloads and he can work on his shooting untill he gets comfortable. Then you could switch to Production so he can practice reloads. I am doing this with my 9 and 13 year old boys. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Well last Friday school was out and we went to Arnold Missouri, South of St Louis.

Top Gun Range.

My son was able to shoot:

Baretta 92 (He liked the weight)

M&P 9 (did not like)

XDM (grip feel did not like)

RIA 9 (he like the 1911 feel)

CZ75b (he said it had to long of a trigger pull, more I think size from palm to fire)

Caracal F (best overall group,low reciol)

Ruger SR9 (NO)

All were first time shoots for him with these guns.

And a .223 Scar-A whole different story there(video game thing, only ar 25yrds open sight all center head shots.

Damn Young EYES.

He really like the 92 for wieght and the Caracal for grip feel.

We are still going to shoot a few mor models before Christmas.

Does any one have any additional suggetions?

Thanks

I'm really glad he had the chance to check all those out. We are members at Top Gun. If you are silver members there are a couple of member's only events every month. This thursday is bowling pin and the last Thursday is a 2 stage match very similar to USPSA. It is how my daughter and I got our feet wet. :) You are always welcome to come and watch without being members. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful.

You may want to have a look at the STI GP6 if you can find one or the more recent Grand Power badged guns brought in by Century Arms.

The frame has 4 different backstraps, so it will fit his hand and grow with him.

It has a kick ass single action trigger.

The recoil is almost non-existant.

Hello: I would pick a pistol that fits his hand in 9mm. The Glock 34, XDM or a S&W M&P. I would then get mag extensions so he could shoot limited minor. Less reloads and he can work on his shooting untill he gets comfortable. Then you could switch to Production so he can practice reloads. I am doing this with my 9 and 13 year old boys. Thanks, Eric

IMO this is the best advise of the thread.

Marty

A-7424