Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

He-Man National 3-Gun Championship 2013

Stages don't get posted!

Will probably have a rough draft of specific round counts...well, here's the rough draft!!!

TARGET count...NOT round count!!!

Stage 1 - Pistol/Rifle - 12-15 targets for each....and a pick-up gun

Stage 2 - Pistol Gully Run - 32 targets for pistol and 3 targets for pick-up full auto.

Stage 3 - 3-Gun - 12 Buckshot, 16 rifle, 12 pistol

Stage 4 - 3-Gun - 12 birdshot, 4 slugs, 12 rifle, 12 pistol

Stage 5 - Flying Bird Fun - 36 or more birdshot

Stage 6 - 3-Gun - 4 slugs, 8 birdshot, 12 pistol, 18 rifle

Stage 7 - Rifle/Shotgun - 14 rifle, 20 birdshot, 4 slugs

Rifle and Pistol will be a combo of steel and paper, maybe some clays.

Rifle steel from 50-600 yards.

Slugs to about 100.

Pretty rough right now! We've seen where they're going to be. Some of them are fully formed, some are still niggling at us!

Those counts are going to be close!!! :devil:

See you soon, you He-Men!

Denise

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stages don't get posted!

Will probably have a rough draft of specific round counts...well, here's the rough draft!!!

TARGET count...NOT round count!!!

Stage 1 - Pistol/Rifle - 12-15 targets for each....and a pick-up gun

Stage 2 - Pistol Gully Run - 32 targets for pistol and 3 targets for pick-up full auto.

Stage 3 - 3-Gun - 12 Buckshot, 16 rifle, 12 pistol

Stage 4 - 3-Gun - 12 birdshot, 4 slugs, 12 rifle, 12 pistol

Stage 5 - Flying Bird Fun - 36 or more birdshot

Stage 6 - 3-Gun - 4 slugs, 8 birdshot, 12 pistol, 18 rifle

Stage 7 - Rifle/Shotgun - 14 rifle, 20 birdshot, 4 slugs

Slugs to about 100.

Pretty rough right now! We've seen where they're going to be. Some of them are fully formed, some are still niggling at us!

Denise

600 yards? Those targets better be sitting on a keg of Coors beer for these old eyes to see that far. LOL, Still trying to figure out how I'm going to carry enough shotgun shells for 36 targets, that one should be fun............

600 yards? Those targets better be sitting on a keg of Coors beer for these old eyes to see that far. LOL, Still trying to figure out how I'm going to carry enough shotgun shells for 36 targets, that one should be fun............

The distance isn't so bad, as long as the lighting isn't too bad. Usually the long targets are set up with multiple strobes, kinda neat when they all go off, not so much when they don't because you missed. :goof:

On the big shotgun course, I bring 4 Mark Otto 4 round caddies, 2 AP Custom 4x4's and may throw in a Choate 6 rounder or two! ( I have needed most of the shells :roflol: )

Oh my Goodness!!! I forgot to thank our amazing sponsors! In this very crazy time, these companies stepped up and supported a basically, new match with great generosity!

:bow::bow::bow: We are so lucky to have such great sponsors!

Thanks to our Platinum Sponsor - Ergo Grips and our Gold Sponsors - Hornady and Sierra Bullets!! :cheers:

Our other generous sponsors include: 3-Gun Stuff, Black Sheep Manufacturing, Brownells, Burris, C&M Targets, CPWSA, Deadwood Stoves, Dewey Rods, Dillon Precision, DPMS, DSG Arms, Firebird Precision, Machine Gun Tours, Magpul, Nordic Components, ProEars, Redding, Safariland, Savage Arms, Shooter's Source, SpecOps, StagArms, Truckvault and XS Sights.

Please think about them whenever you plan to buy more toys, or toy parts!!

See you He-Men...and a few wee-men end of June!

Denise

So we're something like 5 weeks out. Denise, is the match full up now or are there still a few slots?

I made the leap and committed. I'm shooting irons this year. My rifle feels like it shed about 40lbs when I removed the glass.

Slugs to about 100.

Denise

600 yds wouldn't be a problem if my rifle can hold <2 moa, however, that's not the case with my 308 VEPR :blush: .Never bring an AK to a long range gun fight ! :roflol: ... Oh well, just have make do with what I got.

Slugs to about 100.

Denise

600 yds wouldn't be a problem if my rifle can hold <2 moa, however, that's not the case with my 308 VEPR :blush: .Never bring an AK to a long range gun fight ! :roflol: ... Oh well, just have make do with what I got.

It's going to be an IPSC size gong...and the only for sure 600 yard targets will be with a sweet Savage .308 bolt gun!!!

No sweat!!!

We might run a target out there for your own gun...but it will be IPSC target size as well...so only panic a little! :devil:

Denise

If yesterday's Johnson match is any indication as to what they have planned for us at HeMan Nats, everyone should plan on being pushed and tested in every way, and right to the limit of even the top shooter's ability. This is going to be a really fun match.

If I shoot long range at HMN, as poorly as I did yesterday, I'm gonna regret switching to irons. I've got a lot of practice to cram into 3 short weeks.

Any more info or hints on what you shot yesterday and what I need to practice? For those of us that were not fortunate enough to make last weekends match.

So, I'm not doing too do much more practice except doing regular 3 gun matches here in Arizona. I did do a Match up in Prescott this past weekend it's a little closer to the altitude of NM but we didn't have ANY long range stuff at all. Everything was close in put plenty of transition stuff, so that was nice to work on. Also have a local match at Rio this weekend and they will have a few long range targets for practice. Looks like I’ll also get in one more 3 gun at Phoenix rod n Gun, one steel match, then a shotgun match the week before HMN. My Guns are working great and have ammo to spare. Looking forward to shooting my first He-man with everyone and really looking forward to that 600 yard target!!

Know the dope on your scope! (Or your sights, you iron guys!)

Lots of long rifle. Surprise! Surprise! From 50 out to 500...or so! :devil:

Some long slugs! Practice shooting both pistol and shotgun while your rifle is slung.

Practice your flying birds....bwahahahaha!!

We're going to test you on your pistol, too!

No huge surprises!!! Maybe bring some oxygen! :surprise:

I think it'll be fun...and I'm just a wee-man!

Denise

I know they have been working on building the stages already, but we were not allowed to see them. Anything we were allowed to see will be changed before HM Nats. So these tips are based on either shooting elements (skills) I was required to demonstrate yesterday, or skills which are MO for JJ and Denise.

You need to be in the best physical condition you can possibly be when you get here as most of the stages will have some physical element to them, in the high plains desert.

You need to know your rifle holds for every distance from point blank to 600yds. You need to be able to hit those targets and from some less than optimum shooting positions... after running up a hill with full gear. Yesterday we had to shoot a 450yd 12" steel target, which couldn't be seen from prone. We were given a 24" log to prop up and rest the rifle on, while sitting. JJ almost never uses common distances in his matches. He always uses distances other than the common 100, 200, 300yd etc. Chances are, your most difficult rifle shot will more than likely be a 12" plate some where in the 400yd range. Usually out past 400 they bump up the target size to an ABC or a full size IPSC Metric. I think yesterday was Denise' special little gift to the rest of us, as that may have been the toughest rifle target I've seen there. JJ mentioned that HM Nats is designed specifically to push the limits of irons sights, but keep things doable for irons sights. That means visible.

Besides long range rifle (which is a major part of Johnson matches) you will need to be proficient in just about every form of 3gun shotgun shooting. Thrown birds are extremely common. Poppers, swingers, flippers, stars of varying configurations, static steel crowded by no shoots, rabbits... You name it and JJ will make you shoot it. You need to know your chokes and patterns. You need to know your holds for slugs too. Slug shots as far out as 120yd are possible, with 100yd slugs probable. I highly recommend getting in some time at the skeet range. I personally like to shoot about 10 sets of 5 stand to prep for a Big Johnson match. The all shotgun stage yesterday was 30+ shells and you can expect something closer to 40 at the big match. You need to be able to carry 50 shells to get through their shotgun stage. JJ loves to make you chose between an open pattern for close birds and a tight pattern for heavy steel at distance. For those of you shooting the load 2 method, bring a glove for your weak hand as the barrel will be very hot after about 25 shells down the pipe.

Pistols are pretty straight forward. You do need to know that a Johnson, all pistol stage can push 60rd. If you are shooting HM, you need to bring at least 7 mags. I personaly bring 8 10rd mags for my single stack.

You will go home from HM Nats (aka The Big Johnson) with a smile on your face, but I promise you will be tired.

I know the dope behind the scope very well so I guess I need to get to know the dope in the scope also!

All good advice, thanks a lot. I am looking forward to my first HM match.

I know they have been working on building the stages already, but we were not allowed to see them. Anything we were allowed to see will be changed before HM Nats. So these tips are based on either shooting elements (skills) I was required to demonstrate yesterday, or skills which are MO for JJ and Denise.

You need to be in the best physical condition you can possibly be when you get here as most of the stages will have some physical element to them, in the high plains desert.

You need to know your rifle holds for every distance from point blank to 600yds. You need to be able to hit those targets and from some less than optimum shooting positions... after running up a hill with full gear. Yesterday we had to shoot a 450yd 12" steel target, which couldn't be seen from prone. We were given a 24" log to prop up and rest the rifle on, while sitting. JJ almost never uses common distances in his matches. He always uses distances other than the common 100, 200, 300yd etc. Chances are, your most difficult rifle shot will more than likely be a 12" plate some where in the 400yd range. Usually out past 400 they bump up the target size to an ABC or a full size IPSC Metric. I think yesterday was Denise' special little gift to the rest of us, as that may have been the toughest rifle target I've seen there. JJ mentioned that HM Nats is designed specifically to push the limits of irons sights, but keep things doable for irons sights. That means visible.

Besides long range rifle (which is a major part of Johnson matches) you will need to be proficient in just about every form of 3gun shotgun shooting. Thrown birds are extremely common. Poppers, swingers, flippers, stars of varying configurations, static steel crowded by no shoots, rabbits... You name it and JJ will make you shoot it. You need to know your chokes and patterns. You need to know your holds for slugs too. Slug shots as far out as 120yd are possible, with 100yd slugs probable. I highly recommend getting in some time at the skeet range. I personally like to shoot about 10 sets of 5 stand to prep for a Big Johnson match. The all shotgun stage yesterday was 30+ shells and you can expect something closer to 40 at the big match. You need to be able to carry 50 shells to get through their shotgun stage. JJ loves to make you chose between an open pattern for close birds and a tight pattern for heavy steel at distance. For those of you shooting the load 2 method, bring a glove for your weak hand as the barrel will be very hot after about 25 shells down the pipe.

Pistols are pretty straight forward. You do need to know that a Johnson, all pistol stage can push 60rd. If you are shooting HM, you need to bring at least 7 mags. I personaly bring 8 10rd mags for my single stack.

You will go home from HM Nats (aka The Big Johnson) with a smile on your face, but I promise you will be tired.

Thanks a lot!

Any more info or hints on what you shot yesterday and what I need to practice? For those of us that were not fortunate enough to make last weekends match.

PRACTICE r we talking PRACTICE.... Old guys don't need practice............We just cheat better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kidding of course..... T- minus 3 weeks ..... Larry....

Edited by Larry LeBeau

I know the dope behind the scope very well so I guess I need to get to know the dope in the scope also!

All good advice, thanks a lot. I am looking forward to my first HM match.

remember one thing: she kicks a little!

:cheers:

remember one thing: she kicks a little!

:cheers:

Wynn,

The big guns may kick a little more, but, they aren't bad, just a bit more than the Open guns than Don is used to.

Don will have to load his shotgun a bit differently too. Oh, and reload his uncomped .45 a lot more often.

3 weeks till Southwest brings me out there.