Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL-650 primer index disable

I'm used to a Square Deal. So far (a week) I like the XL-650, but one thing really bothers me: this primer disk which keeps indexing primers and dropping them down a chute. I like the Square Deal primer system better.

I called Dillon and they said to remove the primer indexing cam on the frame. That works fine, but I am finding myself doing that quite often. Has anyone got a better idea to stop the primer indexing, or seen a quick release mechanism for removing the primer indexing cam?

(I did a search here, but didn't see anything.... However, forgive me if this issue has already been covered somewhere and I missed it).

I have been using a 650 for about 8 years now and the only time I take the cam off is to make clearance for changing the primer punch. Why do you need to stop the disk?

Just curious,

Chuck

If I get to the last round I want to make the primer system keeps feeding primers down that silly chute until the last round is crimped. That is just one example. Another.... If I want to play with bullet seating, or crimper settings the primers keep feeding. Etc, etc. The Square Deal B primer doesn't do this, and I don't think I'm going to get used to it. I want to be able to stop the primer disk when I want to.

I saw a post somewhere about using an L shaped piece of flat metal stock. I made one that slides under the advancing arm, preventing it's pin from fitting in the disc's hole to effect an advance. I'd post a pic but never can figure out how to on here :-(

Here's a Tube video that shows another's similar idea.

I'm used to a Square Deal. So far (a week) I like the XL-650, but one thing really bothers me: this primer disk which keeps indexing primers and dropping them down a chute. I like the Square Deal primer system better.

I called Dillon and they said to remove the primer indexing cam on the frame. That works fine, but I am finding myself doing that quite often. Has anyone got a better idea to stop the primer indexing, or seen a quick release mechanism for removing the primer indexing cam?

(I did a search here, but didn't see anything.... However, forgive me if this issue has already been covered somewhere and I missed it).

Thanks for that video. I was thinking about fabricating something to lift that arm. Maybe that is a better way to go.

I wonder why Dillon thought this disk system was better. My experience with the Square Deal priming system has been perfect over many years.

Have had my 650 for about 15 years, I just remove the cam when I need to disable the primer disk. (Just remember to put it back on when you need it.....)

I have been using a 650 for about 8 years now and the only time I take the cam off is to make clearance for changing the primer punch. Why do you need to stop the disk?

Just curious,

Chuck

If I get to the last round I want to make the primer system keeps feeding primers down that silly chute until the last round is crimped. That is just one example. Another.... If I want to play with bullet seating, or crimper settings the primers keep feeding. Etc, etc. The Square Deal B primer doesn't do this, and I don't think I'm going to get used to it. I want to be able to stop the primer disk when I want to.

I started with a 550 where you could just unhook the rod that operates the slide. When I transitioned to the 650, I started doing the following:

1) I only load the press with the amount of primers that I need. I usually load in multiples of 100 but if I am doing less, I put less primers in.

2) If I am going to do some adjusting of seat or crimp, I still size and prime a case and then pull it off at station 2. I will use the primed cases at the end of a reloading session when the magazine and disk goes empty. I have a micrometer seating die so I only need to do one sample and then adjust to the OAL that I need. In fact, It seems that crimp doesn't change much.

3) I have a baggie of the correct sized cases that are sized and capped. So, if something happens where I wind up with a primer w/o the case at station 2, I will insert one of the spares and carry on.

So, the only time I take something off the press is when I do some cleaning or a caliber change. I haven't had a new primer go down the ski jump in years...

Later,

Chuck

Not to hi-jack this thread but it falls into something I've created.....

I load a few different types of loads, I was forever taking off the primer advance

block and puting it back on when I do 20-30 rnds to go over the chrono.

I'll load the same bullet over 3 or 4 different powder charges or powders to get

a good result (hopefully!)

Well, what I came up with is a 2 piece primer advance block I can rotate out of the

way when I'm done loading those 20-30 cases and I need to advance the shell plate those

four more positions to finish that batch.

Is this anything anyone would be interested in ?

! ! Now for the caveat ! !

I do not use the powder drop rod doo-hicky, I have 2 springs on the powder bar

to make sure it returns, I drop powder at station 3 since I sometime's extra case size

at station 2.

So, if you use the rod or the new style powder measures "as is" this might not work for you.

Figured I'd ask here before I go and offer these to anyone en masse, I think it works great

but I'm an army of one and after trying it on a buddy's 650 I saw the rod and thought

"oh crap !! I forgot about that thing"

So let me know if this something you'd be after ?

and mods, if I screwed up posting this here please let me know and I'll start

a new thread.

Thanks

Dave, any chance you could post a pic? I'm having difficulty visualizing your mod

left pic shows primer arm being activated, right pic shows it not,

with it "opened" (right pic) the primers do not advance.

When you want to prime again you swing the angled part back into the

"closed" position.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, any chance you could post a pic? I'm having difficulty visualizing your mod

"closed" position.

Wow nice work any chance you'd make some up to sell? I'd take 2 of those!

"closed" position.

Wow nice work any chance you'd make some up to sell? I'd take 2 of those!

Dave, we met at Harvard I would like to buy one when your ready to ship.

Jay P.