Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Score Sheets Without Totals

Graham Smith

Of all the irritations involved with running a match, this is the one thing that really ticks me off to no end. There's always the occasional stage that gets missed, but once in a while it seems that one or two scorekeepers just decide to skip over that annoying part of their job.

We cover scoring in the briefing but twice this year, we've gotten a number of scoresheets back that had almost no totals for any stages. I really don't understand how this can happen. Clearly, the shooters aren't checking so I can only assume that these people simply don't care about their scores. As daft as that sounds, I can't think of any other explanation.

It makes me think that the only appropriate response is to tell people that if there are no totals, the stage is incomplete and they get a DNF. That would certainly get peoples attention but I'm also pretty certain that it's illegal.

Short of going around from squad to squad and spot checking the scoresheets, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to motivate people to do a better job at scoring?

Of all the irritations involved with running a match, this is the one thing that really ticks me off to no end. There's always the occasional stage that gets missed, but once in a while it seems that one or two scorekeepers just decide to skip over that annoying part of their job.

We cover scoring in the briefing but twice this year, we've gotten a number of scoresheets back that had almost no totals for any stages. I really don't understand how this can happen. Clearly, the shooters aren't checking so I can only assume that these people simply don't care about their scores. As daft as that sounds, I can't think of any other explanation.

It makes me think that the only appropriate response is to tell people that if there are no totals, the stage is incomplete and they get a DNF. That would certainly get peoples attention but I'm also pretty certain that it's illegal.

Short of going around from squad to squad and spot checking the scoresheets, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to motivate people to do a better job at scoring?

Electronic scoring? I know -- you have some reservations.... :D

I just chose to accept the occurrence, and made my first pass through the pile looking for new shooters, and score sheets needing totals. I'd usually do that in front of the TV....

No total. No score. DNF. Simple.

That crap is inconsiderate.

That is a great way to run off shooters. Is it the shooters fault the RO didn't addup the columns?

I don't do stats that often, but I figure adding up the score sheets just comes with the territory.

The real issue about not having totals is that it means absolutely NO checking was done to verify that what was written down was accurate.

The object is not to set out to punish the shooters for a score sheet they never touched. BUT, if a score sheet turns out to be incorrectly scored, you're basically punishing the shooter by giving him DNF's for the missing hits. And if you encounter one error, then the score for the entire stage is suspect.

You HAVE to total columns, and you HAVE to cross check, and if it doesn't come out to the correct number hits, then something is WRONG. Adding a few numbers is not rocket science. Even people who are products of the Georgia public school system should be able to manage that. Writing clearly shouldn't be difficult, either. I'm not asking people to print like a draftsman, but for Dog's sake, at least write a freakin' legible number!

What it all means is that the score keeper isn't doing THEIR job. Unfortunately, at weekly matches where the turnout can range from 6 to 36 people, you'll have several people scoring.

For at least one of our clubs, getting people to step up to score was next to impossible. Hell, I've shot a stage, and then scored myself (not calling hits, but recording them). You about have to jam a clipboard (or these days, a NOOK) into someone's hands and say "Score! I'll show you how."

Some people would rather paste, they're just not comfortable scoring, for whatever reason, maybe bad handwriting, poor hearing, or they can't keep up with the RO calling them. I respect people who have an actual limitation and honestly feel they can't do the job. But the people who stand in the back running their yaps... Oooooh, that one gets me.

Boris Zaretsky (who many of you probably know, but for those that don't, has a wonderful Russian accent) once said "Pasting is biggest privilege of USPSA member!". I use that line a lot :)

--jc

Remind the RO's that it is their responsibility to make sure everything is totaled (as per the rulebook). Before we started using Practiscore this year I had this problem until I let the RO's know about that.

I forgot about that. According to 7.1.1, the RO is required to verify that the scoresheet is correct recorded.

As I said, I don't mind the occasional stage that doesn't get totaled. But when it looks like a whole squad is not getting totaled, I wonder what is going on. Do these people know or care what's going on. And if the shooters don't care about their scores...

Remind the RO's that it is their responsibility to make sure everything is totaled (as per the rulebook). Before we started using Practiscore this year I had this problem until I let the RO's know about that.

I forgot about that. According to 7.1.1, the RO is required to verify that the scoresheet is correct recorded.

As I said, I don't mind the occasional stage that doesn't get totaled. But when it looks like a whole squad is not getting totaled, I wonder what is going on. Do these people know or care what's going on. And if the shooters don't care about their scores...

A score keeper IS an RO. Besides just writing down numbers, they're supposed to be watching for foot faults, FTEs (if possible), range equipment failures, brass whores who wander into the shooting area, and be a back-up to the guy with the timer (who's supposed to be watching the gun).

At some point, you either have to trust the people who volunteer, do everything yourself, or say "screw it", and find a better club with more capable people.