Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-engaging target with other weapon

I have a stage we are doing this weekend that starts with at least 3 slugs at full-size USPSA targets at 40 yards. The shooter abandons the shotgun, picks up the rifle and moves forward to engage 18 1/4 size rifle targets and 18 full size pistol targets. Using IMG scoring i am doubling the penalties for the 3 slug targets to be 10 seconds for only 1 non A/B hit and 20 seconds for no hits. I am considering letting them re-engage the slug targets with rifle or pistol but requiring that they do so with an A head shot only. They will only get within 15 yards of the slug targets with rifle and/or pistol.

What do you guys think? Worth doing? Too complicated? Decreases the need to be accurate with slugs?

Honestly, I think it might be too complicated. If not, way too easy to game. I hate shooting slugs at distance, so I would pop my 3 rounds off as quickly as possible to avoid an FTE. Then if I'm only 15 yards out take 3 head shots with rifle or pistol. I think you will get people gaming the stage like that.

Although I hate slugs all together and really just don't see the point in 3 gun. Shotguns shoot shot. If I need to hit a small target at distance, I already have a rifle ;)

Only 40 yds with slugs? :) :) :)

If you want, you could require reengagement with rifle (or pistol) head shots, but I wouldn't give the choice in that scenario... (and I like having choices...)

Maybe body shots with slugs, your choice rifle or pistol head shots is the way I might go...

jj

I say 40 yard slug shots on poppers, and if not defeated with slugs they can be engaged again with pistol but the pistol shots should be more difficult .... But don't write it into the description as to how the pistol shots have to be taken but design the stage so it makes them difficult.

Maybe a port in the wall with a flap of carpet covering it from a crouching position. That way they have to open the port ....the carpet being able to flex is a little difficult to deal with. You can use one hand to hold the carpet which leaves just shooting strong hand only ....you can use both hands and flop the carpet on your head but risk it falling into view. Poppers at 25 yards strong hand may challenge them.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Honestly, I think it might be too complicated. If not, way too easy to game. I hate shooting slugs at distance, so I would pop my 3 rounds off as quickly as possible to avoid an FTE. Then if I'm only 15 yards out take 3 head shots with rifle or pistol. I think you will get people gaming the stage like that.

Although I hate slugs all together and really just don't see the point in 3 gun. Shotguns shoot shot. If I need to hit a small target at distance, I already have a rifle ;)

Because the game has its roots in practical uses of firearms and shotgun slugs come in handy in real life a lot. I have had to kill 5 bears over the years on the job with shotgun slugs and I am glad that we shoot them in the game. Plus its another skill to master. I think the current use of slugs in three gun is just about perfect. Most big matches have about 10 to 15 slugs fired or so. Thats not too much nor too little.

Pat

HLG,

How the hell have you been? When are you coming back to Albuquerque so we can drink some beer. There are 5-6 new microbreweries here now.

CYa,

Pat

Visit? Hell, I might move for that!

No trips currently scheduled. There was one engagement with the city but someone else got to go. :(

In other news, I picked up another FZ1. :)

What / how many are you riding, now?

HLG,

How the hell have you been? When are you coming back to Albuquerque so we can drink some beer. There are 5-6 new microbreweries here now.

CYa,

Pat

Visit? Hell, I might move for that!

No trips currently scheduled. There was one engagement with the city but someone else got to go. :(

In other news, I picked up another FZ1. :)

What / how many are you riding, now?

I'm still riding my DL 1000, just not to the micro-breweries. If you come to town send me a PM and we'll pick a different place to drink beer each evening. :cheers:

Take care,

Pat

For the same reason I made the long range steel double penalty. If a shot is difficult and a hit (or miss) is worth enough, people won't as easily accept a quick miss but rather will make an honest attempt at hitting it. As it was, even with a double penalty, for 32 shooters going at 3 targets each, so 96 targets, we still had 17 misses (only one non A/B) and 9 complete misses (no hits at all).

Why would you want to make the slug paper a double penalty target?

Did the same thing at our match. Rifle steel 100 and out and shotgun slug steel was double penalty mostly because you don't want people to simple blow a round at it and run by because its difficult.

Pat

Did the same thing at our match. Rifle steel 100 and out and shotgun slug steel was double penalty mostly because you don't want people to simple blow a round at it and run by because its difficult.

Pat

IMHO a 40 yard USPSA paper target shot with slugs should not be to difficult for the average 3 gunner to hit.

If the targets were half size then the penalty would be more appropriate.

The only reason you should increase the penalty values is to avoid someone getting a huge time advantage for taking the penalties .

Maybe the stage design could include a rest of some type like a barrel next time, or one or two more targets added.

Pat

IMHO a 40 yard USPSA paper target shot with slugs should not be to difficult for the average 3 gunner to hit.

If the targets were half size then the penalty would be more appropriate.

The only reason you should increase the penalty values is to avoid someone getting a huge time advantage for taking the penalties .

Maybe the stage design could include a rest of some type like a barrel next time, or one or two more targets added.

Sorry did not read the op's post well enough. I was thinking they were longer range. The reasons we use the penalty is what you said to have shooters take the shot vs running past and just blowing a round at it.

Pat

40 yard slug shots your going to be better off taking them even with a 10 second penalty for not hits at all and 5 seconds for only 1 non A hit. It really isnt that far of a shot. On rifle targets, I dont think the penalties should double at 100 yards on something like say an MGM especially if there is a place to rest the gun etc. At 100 yards, if you throw a couple or 3 of them up there would be 30 seconds penalty to just throw one and go at 10 seconds a piece. The shooters at the top of the list will be the ones who can do it fast AND get the hits.