Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this trigger kit legal in Production

Nimitz

On the Vanek website it says that these 2 trigger kits are legal in divisions which do not allow external mods:

http://vanekcustom.com/3.html

The Classic GrandMaster trigger Kit says you can adjust the amount of pre-travel. I had heard it was not possible to do that without making external mods which would make it illegal for Production? Is that not true or is this trigger kit not legal for Production?

That's what I thought too. I know Glockworx has a production legal drop in trigger where u can adjust over travel via a set screw. I think u can get shorter reset as well ... But in order to adjust pre travel you have to buy one of their other drop in trigger kits where they specifically state that the mods they have to make to have adjustable pre travel make it illegal in production. Trying to see if they know something others don't? Wouldn't seem like there are any secrets here ..

Iirc the pre-travel is adjusted on the trigger housing, which is not visible externally.

If they limit pretravel in the trigger housing ie screw in the front of the trigger housing the trigger safety would then need to be trimmed to keep it working

Not really. It will adjust a long way before the trigger tab starts catching. I just turned it until it started to hang up then backed it off a half turn. It was a remarkably sweet trigger for a Glock.

And yes it's all internal. The only thing visible from the outside is the trigger being much further back in the trigger guard. Some may argue that is an external mod but it's not really.

I used the Classic GM in my 34 for two years and it is perfectly legal and a really nice setup with the long striker and light springs.

My experience matches Sarge's.

Pretty sure Charlie wouldn't sell them as Production Division legal unless it were true. Mine have passed muster at the last several Nationals.

If you're new to Glock trigger mods, be aware that a few tweaks to the springing are pretty much expected. It's also worth mentioning that a lot of very successful Glock shooters are satisfied with minor trigger tune ups they do themselves. Just search on "$0.25 trigger job"...

the Glockworx "Standard" trigger has a modified bar with Pre-travel set.(Read: no Adjustment)

there are two types you get to chose from, Competition and Tactical, the Comp trigger has very little Pre travel set in it and the tactical has a small amount of pre travel set in it.

all over travel is adjusted within the ejector housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just reread Charlie's website and he said he has renamed some of his triggers to avoid confusion so maybe we have been talking about 2 different triggers ... The trigger I am interested in is the "Clasic Grand Master Trigger Kit" listed here: Www.vanekCustom.com/3.html

In his description it clearly says that pre travel is adjustable as well as over travel. So, my only question is is this trigger legal in Production? (Kevin and Sarge: is this the trigger you guys have?

I'm interested in getting a new trigger for my G34. Sorry if this is thread hijack, I just want a be notified on what your experiences are.

I'm trying to decide if I wan't to keep the gun stock enough for production or get into limited. I don't have lots of money to put into it so I doubt I'll ever go open. I would like a magwel though. I'm just not sure that triggers that would make visible changes are really worth it.

Anyone have any experience with ZEV triggers?

Thanks

I'm interested in getting a new trigger for my G34. Sorry if this is thread hijack, I just want a be notified on what your experiences are.

I'm trying to decide if I wan't to keep the gun stock enough for production or get into limited. I don't have lots of money to put into it so I doubt I'll ever go open. I would like a magwel though. I'm just not sure that triggers that would make visible changes are really worth it.

Anyone have any experience with ZEV triggers?

Thanks

If you put on a magwell, you won't be shooting in Production division.

There are about a hundred threads on triggers here in the Glock section. Hit the search page and pour through some of the info.

Ok, I just reread Charlie's website and he said he has renamed some of his triggers to avoid confusion so maybe we have been talking about 2 different triggers ... The trigger I am interested in is the "Clasic Grand Master Trigger Kit" listed here: Www.vanekCustom.com/3.html

In his description it clearly says that pre travel is adjustable as well as over travel. So, my only question is is this trigger legal in Production? (Kevin and Sarge: is this the trigger you guys have?

Yes, the Classic Grand Master is Production legal as long as you don't modify the trigger safety. Unlike Sarge, my trigger only let me take out very little Pre-travel with impinging on the safety function. That being said, I'd buy it again. The real benefit of the CGM compared to the Classic is the addition of the Jager striker.

can you elaborate on your statement " .... my trigger only let me take out very little Pre-travel"? I thought Sarge said his was production legal as well ...? Is there variance in how much pre-travel you can take out with individual guns based on manufacturing tolerances?

Yes, I have the Classic GM trigger.

The pretravel is adjustable with a set screw that is in the trigger housing.

My understanding is that other triggers allow a greater degree of pretravel adjustment, but that these triggers get that effect, at least in part, from adjustments that are not allowed in Production Division, such as visibly thinning the trigger safety tab, or moving pivot points on the trigger where the redrilled holes can be seen.

can you elaborate on your statement " .... my trigger only let me take out very little Pre-travel"? I thought Sarge said his was production legal as well ...? Is there variance in how much pre-travel you can take out with individual guns based on manufacturing tolerances?

You are correct. Both Sarge and I ran/run the Classic Grand Master trigger and we both agree that it is legal. The only part I was saying differed was the amount of pretravel reduction we were legally able to do. Sarge said "It will adjust a long way before the trigger tab starts catching". With mine, I did not have a lot of trigger travel to adjust without interfering with the safety (ie I could do some adjustment and stay legal, but not much). As to variance, I don't know if it is that or a difference in subjective view of how much travel is being removed. Either way, I wouldn't get hung up on it. As I mentioned above, this really isn't the selling point of the Classic GM over the Classic. The adjustment is easy to do and takes less than 5 minutes.

the reason I'm asking is that I already have the 'skeletized striker' from Zev with the reduced power striker spring & safety plunger spring which I am assuming is 'similar' to what you get with the Jager striker that comes with the GM Classic Trigger kit? Reduced pre-travel & over travel is what I'm looking at now so I was trying to understand if enough pre-travel could be removed to make a noticable difference. Obviously without actually trying the trigger it will be impossible to know for sure but I think i could get some benefit out of removing some pre-trvel if possible ...

My opinion is that it is not worth getting a CGM if that is the only reason you are looking to upgrade. I'm not sure if Charlie still offers it, but previously he would put the pre-travel screw in his Classic kit for $5-10. I can't honestly say that I perceive much benefit from the minor reduction in pre-travel that my trigger allowed. That being said, I'd rather have it than not.