Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Tactical Questions

chase864

Just got my tactical back from getting modified and had some questions not related to the work performed. I sent the gun out 20 minutes after Purchasing it, so I didn't even see it together.

When reassembling, should there be a gap where the barrel meets the action area. There is a gap of roughly 3/16" between the rib and action.

The second question I have is the spring tension for the tube. It seems very heavy. To the point I can barely load the 8th round. Do people typically cut these down? Look forward to running some rounds through it before the next match. Thanks

Interesting. I never thought the spring in my Tactical was at all stiff. Easy to load 8 shells and almost jam in a ninth. Has Remington changed their springs?

Mick

The spring is absolutely too stiff, you can cut some coils. I don't think there is a gap, but I don't have mine in front of me either.

I thought the tactical used a Nordic tube. You would think they could supply the correct spring. I'm going to throw some shells in it and leave them for a while to see if that loosens it any.

Anyone hav eideas on if there should be a gap between top rib rail and receiver?

I thought the tactical used a Nordic tube. You would think they could supply the correct spring. I'm going to throw some shells in it and leave them for a while to see if that loosens it any.

Anyone hav eideas on if there should be a gap between top rib rail and receiver?

That doesn't sound right, about the gap. Remington obviously just bought the tubes from Nordic, as the spring is not the same as Nordic supplies.

Yes, there is a small gap between barrel rib and receiver on the VersaMax.

Yes, the Tactical uses a tube, mag clamp and charging handle made by Nordic. The tube for the Tactical is made to Remington's requirements. It has a recess to hold the clamp in a fixed position and the thread pattern at the nut is the same as on the other end, so the tube is reversible. It also means that the end caps are a different thread than regular Nordic tubes.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

So finally shot some slugs. Tried the Remington sluggers, full strength Remington's and Fiocchi 1oz. The Remington's shot roughly 10" right and 10" low. The Fiocchi shot low and left but only about 5-6". What do I do now. Is there any way to adjust something? Thanks

Fiocchi 7/8 oz should should shoot a little flatter. Might bring that POI up a few more inches. Also shooting low affords the option of adding a rear sight. You can dove tale a 10/22 and have the vertical adjustability to dial it in. My gunsmith charged me $50 to add a rear sight to my scattergun.

Make sure your clamp is not too tight and pulling he barrel.

Remove the clamp and make sure the mag tube is a quarter to half turn out from fully tight.

Reassemble clamp and make sure that you use the same tension on both screws.

Recheck slug POI.

Repeat with clamp completely removed if you need to be sure.

Mick

So finally shot some slugs. Tried the Remington sluggers, full strength Remington's and Fiocchi 1oz. The Remington's shot roughly 10" right and 10" low. The Fiocchi shot low and left but only about 5-6". What do I do now. Is there any way to adjust something? Thanks