Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17

smarcus3

There are probably hundreds of options for a G17 OWB holster, but in my opinion, there are a lot of them better than the Fobus. If you are looking for a non-leather holster, Google is your friend. Look up "Kydex Holsters". I've had excellent results with Blade-Tech SRB holsters.

Good luck.

There's better options than the Fobus and Uncle Mike's you inquired about. Blade-tech, Ready Tactical, Safariland are popular. Start out by reading some of the previous threads on this forum. There's 128 threads if you type in "holster" under the Multi-gun Gear & Accessories forum.

I hear that some people don't like them, but I use a Blackhawk Serpa for my Glock (use one for my 1911 also). I modify the paddle and drop the holster down, heat and bend the release lever out just a little so that resting your finger on it will release the gun (but still have retension with your finger off of it). I have practiced my draws with my 1911 out of a Bladetech (also a great holster) and the Serpa and there isn't enough time difference for me to not use the Serpa. With the Serpa, I do not worry about my pistol bouncing out of the holster or flopping out when I go prone, etc.

As others have said, look around, talk to people at matches, do a search here, there is alot of information out there.

Hurley

Didn't realize you bought your own gear.

Gear is supplied to us. I rarely like the gear issued so I purchase a lot of my own stuff. The holster we were issued is a Safariland but its only single retention. I like the ALS with the hood.

Didn't realize you bought your own gear.

That really depends on the department. Larger departments with more money usually buy your gear and make you use it. Others with less cash or that are more open minded let you buy gear off an approved list. I use all my own gear because frankly I want the best stuff.

Pat

I agree with the safariland 6378. Probably the best 3 gun holster if they make it for your pistol, extreme,y secure but crazy fast. I too carry an ALS holster on duty and would use it for 3 gun if they made one for a 6" sti. I loved that holster when I ran a Glock 34. I also used the els quick release system so I could quickly take off the holster for different stages etc.

Most of the employees here that shoot 3-Gun use the Safariland 6377 ALS system- It seems to be more natural than the Blackhawk, locks the handgun in very ssecurely. After seeing a handgun knocked out of a holster by a slung rifle I decided some sort of locking holster was needed for this sport.