Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I chamber the first round from the breech?

acpie360

I am currently shooting USPSA Production Division using a Beretta 92FS. Since the gun allows directly loading a round into the chamber from the locked slide, I am wondering if I can chamber the first round from the breech without using a barney mag. Is there anything in the rule book that prohibits this? Thanks.

Edited by acpie360

I am currently shooting USPSA Production Division using a Beretta 92FS. Since the gun allows directly loading a round into the chamber from the locked slide, I am wondering if I can chamber the first round from the breech without using a bunny mag. Is there anything in the rule book that prohibits this? Thanks.

Sure you can. There are no rules about what method you use to load your pistol no matter the make.

Range Ninjas might give you grief, but it does not mean they are right.

Don't be a stranger to the rules. Knowing them well will make you a stronger competitor.

Uh-oh, you guys are passing on tired old 1911 folklore here!

I had always heard that it's hard on extractors to drop a round in the chamber and close the slide like that. Hell, it seemed to make sense, and I'm sure I heard the admonition many years ago from some old fart at the range or the gunshop--or maybe I read it in a gun magazine--and it imprinted on my brain.

But then I became aware of scientific testing that was done by gunsmith Ned Christiansen which proves it's not true.

Google it.

Yeah, the research purely involved a 1911 extractor, which is the context where you normally hear that admonition. It might not necessarily apply to other types of pistols, but I would think the spring-loaded extractors on most other production pistols would be unaffected by snapping over a cartridge rim.

It's not a practice I engage in, or like to see--but once again, I suspect there is much more folklore in play here than reality--which is common with many things surrounding firearms. Self-annointed gun experts (and we all know several of those, right?) tend to pass along much misinformation, and in many ways the internet has only made it worse.

Seen lots of chipped extractors on Glocks. I'm betting it's a result of doing a lot of double feed clearance practice at my agency Essentially the same thing, forcing the extractor to do something it wasn't designed to. I would minimize dropping the slide with a round in the chamber as much as possible. There's just no reason to do it.