Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Free Float Handguard

theycallmeingot

All you AR dudes out there...

I have a base model 2 Stag AR. 16.5 inch barrel, plastic standard handguard, gas block/front sight tower combined.

stag_arms_model2.gif

I want to get more leverage on the gun, out toward the end of the barrel. So what I want is a low profile gas block, and a 12" freefloat handguard that will fit over the gas block and let me get a better offhand grip. I don't want the handguard to be flimsy and rub on the gas block when i rest the rifle, or anything.

it will look something like this, but this is a picture of their 3gun model, with a longer barrel.

Stag_3G_3-Gun_Close_Header.jpg

Anyone know of a good handguard/gas block combo that will accomplish this?

An adjustable gas block is by it's very nature, requires "fiddling".

That said, you are best off with getting a good muzzle brake (JP, Surefire, etc.).

For gas blocks, any of the standard lo profiles will work well.

For handguards, that is personal taste, but the MI SS series work well and are affordable, as well as the Samson Evolution rail which is what Stag uses on their 3G. You want the "rifle length" 12" version as a minimum...

Mick

the seekins stuff looks great. thanks.

i'm a newb to ARs. how necessary is an adjustable gas block? Does it require fiddling with?

check out the nordic handguards in a rifle length. For the gas block any low profile or if you never plan on converting the gun back to the original configuration, cut off the tower off your front sight and smooth it out(its covered by the handguard and then you have a pinned low profile

You should consider selling your upper and buying one with a longer gas system. It will recoil softer and the gas block will already be further down the barrel. Best of all, the serialized portion on an AR is the lower, so you won't have to deal with an FFL or anything, just sell the one you have and switch it out.

troy alpha are quite useful i have a 13", i like that the holes in the handguard help me grip it so i don't need a handstop , just use a bipod stud in the last hole(muzzle end) at 6 o'clock for a referance to not reach any further post-22721-0-52963200-1346982110_thumb.j

You should consider selling your upper and buying one with a longer gas system. It will recoil softer and the gas block will already be further down the barrel. Best of all, the serialized portion on an AR is the lower, so you won't have to deal with an FFL or anything, just sell the one you have and switch it out.

definitely something to consider.