Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can only have 3 guns...

Hey all,

So I might have just been offered a job on the other side of the country, which is the good news. But I HATE to move, and in the past I throw away/donate/sell all my stuff but like a laptop, guns, and underpants and then drive out and start a new life. It's much easier than packing, I know. But that was before I was such an "enthusiastic" shooter. Now, like most of you, I have a full safe, and a room packed with random stuff I "need" for competitive shooting.

My thought is to sell everything I have and just buy a really good, nice, competitive set up when I get out there. The problem is, I shoot a few disciplines. Currently, I'm focused on Limited USPSA, 3 gun, and any combination of that stuff. I also run single stack pretty hard, since it's what I prefer to carry. I also like to shoot steel challenge, some sporting clays, occasionally hunt, keep the homestead protected, and plink at the range...

Now my thought it I could sell all the stuff I have and get probably 8-10k that I could spend on a "dream set up". I'm looking for thoughts on is this a good idea? And if so, what would you go with?

my thoughts:

2011 in 40 or 9mm. Would work for limited, 3 gun, action sports, plinking, HD, etc

JP or similar 18" AR with 1-6 scope

semi auto shotgun of whatever make

That would get me squared away for damn near everything, but not quite ideal for anything. So what do ya'll think?

Steve

That would get me squared away for damn near everything, but not quite ideal for anything. So what do ya'll think?

Steve

I think you just answered your own question.

Keep your stuff or sell it. What is important is that you don't compromise on your dream rig.

2011 in 40 or 9mm. Would work for limited, 3 gun, action sports, plinking, HD, etc

JP or similar 18" AR with 1-6 scope

semi auto shotgun of whatever make

Steve

:cheers:

You seemed to have forgot a carry gun. You won't want to carry your Limited gun. Even if it's a pocket gun, you need one more handgun.

If I could only have 3 guns, I would have a carry gun, an AR, and my 1911 in .45 for Single Stack. The next two would be my carry gun(s) and/or my .22 pistol, then a .22 rifle, and then a shotgun, in that order.

The great thing about life is that I can have more than 3 guns.

Edited by twodownzero

It's kind of a silly idea IMO. It wasn't that long ago that I had no guns, and now it seems that I've got one of everything. If you're as deep into it as you say, you'll either replace everything you sell in no time or get out of the game. None of us would last for long with only three guns in the safe. I traded one yesterday (new Sig 229 in the safe:cheers:). If you sell all your guns, you're going to take a bath. Why don't you look into having your safe shipped on a pallet by a freight company with secure storage. You keep all your old friends and freight is wayyy cheaper than selling and replacing. When you're settled in your job and have a new place, have your safe delivered.

I'm with Life on this one. I think you might regret parting with what you worked hard to get.

For me, at this point, only guns I've ever sold were prize guns that never made it into my collection officially.

I think you lose money selling and then buying again to replace the old ones.

If I was only allowed 3 guns:

5" .45 1911 (yes it is my carry gun) Plus 1500 rounds minimum

18" AR Plus 1000 round minimum

12 gauge shotgun Plus several cases of shells, plenty of buckshot and a few slugs too :devil:

If I need more than that for a match or personal protection, its time to call in an artillery strike.

The people's republic takes up most of the "other side" of the country. They are gun "challenged" there. It may be more difficult to repurchase replacements there than keeping what you have. Check local regs. Also PM me a list of what you want to sell, if you decide to sell. I'm down the street in CT.

Edited by Youngeyes

Yeah so the move would be to Texas. I got the job but not sure if or how I should move stuff. My thought was if I sold my collection, I could buy a NICE set of do-all guns. Get a benelli, SVi and JP and just be done with the equipment race.