Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar pistol in 9mm

nanopistol

OK, I have an evil idea brewing in the noggin, but before I put down some bucks (and thereby distort marital bliss), I'd like opinions.

I'm thinking of an RRA 9mm carbine for the matches where the bays are not overly long. Save dough on the ammo, have another toy in the collection, and move faster than Sheldon Cooper in his flash outfit, right?

But instead, what if I get the 10" bbl ar pistol with a red dot, should be plenty accurate and fast for 50 yds or less. What I have in mind is drilling a hole at the back of the mainspring tube and drill/tap/install a swivel with a clip for a sling. This I know is legal, lots of reading and past posts on BE and other forums, as well as close scrutiny of the law convince me of that.

But what I want to do is connect the swivel to a shoulder holster or battle harness like the one pictured here. It will connect at the right shoulder on the utility d-ring so that when I relax it drops and hangs in a safe position, the pistol comes up to a natural shooting position, and the spring tube rests on the battle vest. [patent pending :D ]

So I think I am legal in doing this, no stock changes made to the firearm other than what would be done for a sling. I could make whatever changes to the battle vest I wanted and it won't affect the gun from a legal stand point. A judiciously placed piece of kydex in the shoulder strap of the battle harness behind that d-ring would be for "comfort" purposes...

junglebattlevest.jpg

OK, flame resistant tighty whiteys on, thoughts?

Edited by nanopistol

I cannot respond to the rest of your post, but I build a 9mm pistol for fun (not for competition or anything like you describe above).

Noveske did a small batch of 9mm barrels for a special order and we got some left overs. Noveske stainless steel 9mm barrel, 8.5" on a TRX E 7.5 rail". Fun little thing to shoot. It was more of a project for kicks/range toy than anything else, but it is accurate!

I have a 5" Noveske 9mm SS barrel I need to build out next, the 9mm uppers are a blast to shoot for sure.

photovac.jpg

Sorry for Iphone photo quality.

Edited by cold

The only reason to get a pistol AR is to be able to test fire it and function check it while you're waiting for a tax stamp to clear to make it into an Short Barreled Rifle. I currently have a 9mm AR pistol that is waiting for that purpose. A push sling makes these more useable, but it's no substitute for a stock.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

a letter from the technical division of ATF is on file on ar15.com that allows the use of either carbine length or rifle length buffer tube, and further allows the use of a "crutch tip" like rubber end cap... my 10.5 inch 5.56 with a Spikes "pistol" buffer tube places my cheek weld in approximately the same position as my A1 stock if I rotate my body to square to the target...but am in process to initiate the revocable living trust process...

You need to shoot a rifle caliber out of your rifle in all the 3 gun matches I've seen.

Probably right... You could probably get away with 9mm in uspsa. If you could get major 9mm to run in it without tearing anything in the gun up, it ought to make rifle minor and the bullet is larger than the minimum (might be some rule against it I don't remember). Don't remember how uspsa defines a rifle (whether it must have a stock or not).

Interesting thought anyway.

Most 3gun shoots require the use of 5.56 or larger for the rifle portion. My local club hosts outlaw 3gun matches where they allow the use of pistol caliber carbines for the rifle, typically they make those guy shoot "open" class if they want to go that route.

Most 3gun shoots require the use of 5.56 or larger for the rifle portion. My local club hosts outlaw 3gun matches where they allow the use of pistol caliber carbines for the rifle, typically they make those guy shoot "open" class if they want to go that route.

9mm is bigger than .223/5.56... But big difference in power factor.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

nanopistol has a hard time managing the recoil from anything more powerful than a .380, give him a break. :devil:

I've been to matches where pistol caliber carbines were being used. Hell, some folks were even using .22s. Fun little match and fun little guns.

Seriously Rusty, just pony up the $200 and make a short barrel rifle. I think you would be much happier with it in the long run. NFA stuff is very easy, only bad part is the wait. It seems a little daunting at first but helps if you have someone there to walk you through it. Give me a call, I'll give you a hand. Besides if you wear a vest like that and I ever see you at a match, the $h!t talk will be unending.