Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg Patrick Flannigan VS. JM

hacksaw556

OK, being a total shotgun neophyte, I am wondering what the difference is between the Mossberg 930 JM and the Mossberg 930 Patrick Flannigan model? I realize the Flannigan has a higher capacity...so other than that what is the difference? Would the Flannigan model be a good choice for 3 gun?

Thanks in advance...

Hey Hacksaw! How's it going? The biggest difference is like you said, the 13 round capacity and the 28" barrel. Unless you really like running around with a barrel that long, I can't see how you would like that for 3 Gun (except for Open). Besides, as you know, most matches only allow 8 or 9, especially the new USPSA rules. The extra weight might make it feel a little better as far as recoil. Other than that, I think that is all that would make a difference. The Rhythm 930 looks nice but would not be the way to go in any division except Open.

Hey Hacksaw! How's it going? The biggest difference is like you said, the 13 round capacity and the 28" barrel. Unless you really like running around with a barrel that long, I can't see how you would like that for 3 Gun (except for Open). Besides, as you know, most matches only allow 8 or 9, especially the new USPSA rules. The extra weight might make it feel a little better as far as recoil. Other than that, I think that is all that would make a difference. The Rhythm 930 looks nice but would not be the way to go in any division except Open.

I figured that was pretty much the main diff. Just wanted to make sure I didnt bypass a good option...

They are both awesome. One of them makes sure that you know that he/it is awesome by constantly telling you about his/it's awesomeness. The other is quiet, respectful, and proves his awesomeness by demonstrating it with his guns.

Wait, are we talking about the men, or their guns?

They are both awesome. One of them makes sure that you know that he/it is awesome by constantly telling you about his/it's awesomeness. The other is quiet, respectful, and proves his awesomeness by demonstrating it with his guns.

Wait, are we talking about the men, or their guns?

There is a big difference in the intent of both.

One is an exhibition shooter. He is there to make shooting that gun sorta like "theater", visually appealing and not a lot of "dead air". Entertainment, pure and simple. His audience is usually 4-H Club members and other casual shooters (like the guy who hits a dove field twice a year). He is trying to spark the audience's interest in shooting. His young audiences only understand something if it is "Extreme" or "Awesome", so he'll tell them just how extreme and awesome it is, since they're not out there doing it with him....

The other is a professional competition shooter. He sells guns based on the number of trophies he has (and will) accumulate with that gun. He doesn't NEED to talk, because he's not there to entertain. He's there to WIN.

I know both of these guys on a casual basis. They're both very good people, IMHO.