Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ejection Issues need Help !

Jimbo76

Hello my first post, greetings to all. I have been lurking here for years but now I am desparate to repair my STI Steelmaster. It seems to jam randomly with a stovepipe with the casing facing to the right. I have installed an Aftec and that seemed to fix it but it started jamming again. I just installed an EGW extended ejector leaving the end untouched but cutting underside clearance so it didn't touch the side of the bullet casing or mag to try that. It ran 200 rounds and then began to jam pretty regular. I have ten mags and they are pretty new with the correct spacers etc. as they came from STI. I don't think it is Mag related. I could use some help with tuning the ejector as it seem now the rounds are hitting the bottom of the scope mount and even the exposed part of the CMORE. I can shoot 200 rounds with out a failure then jamomatic. I now just did the angled point on the ejector putting the point one third from the top to angle it downward. Do I neeed to also cut and angle on the side of the ejector point ? I have a match coming up and will be lucky to have time to try it. I am desparate for help as the problem is elusive. Oh and the grip screws are tight. One observation is that the casings look "frosted" from the chamber after they eject. I wonder also if the barrel chamber is so tight that when it gets dirty that causes the problem. Any help is welcome, thanks !

I also have a Steelmaster with an aftec.

These articles were really helpful reading for understanding how the whole system works and what needs to be done to each component:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0811.htm

In my steelmaster - the stock aftec put so much pressure on the case that it had problems with feeding with light springs. I ended up running only the rear spring to get it to run reliably.

As far as things bouncing into the mount - the ejection article above should help out for figuring out the contact point for the egw you have.

Thanks for that. That is how I shaped the ejector as my last attempt. I have not had a chance to try it. Do I also need to angle the side too ? I made it look like the side view in your picture but was not sure if you are suppose to also bevel the barrel side of the ejector too. The original one had the side bevel but was strait up and down and was of course not an extended ejector like the EGW.

not sure about the side of it - i havent had to file on a ejector yet - i have a c-more RTS on my steelmaster currently - so long as the brass clears the ejection port i'm good so much less tuning from that perspective.

I did have issues with it doing an occasional bounce off the c-more mount when i ran a normal c-more but i moved to a sideways mount.

Thanks, I am looking at a sideways mount as a last resort. Any more suggestions on tuning the ejector or other ideas ?

Getting any 9 Open gun "tuned" to eject perfectly is an art. Casings will hit the bottom of the C-more mount and bounce into the chamber. If you are dead set on the traditional C-more mount, send the gun to a well known 9 Major smith.

If you want to end your frustration and cost--go with a Cheely or Quinn II and forget the problems. It is the best $100 I ever spent. I can run (out-of-the-package) AFTEC and my guns ejected flawlessly.

It's tough to get a consistent ejection pattern out of an Open 9x19, might be because the case is tapered and back-heavy compared to super/supercomp. Even the 9x21 open gun I had was no problem at all with ejection and clearing the mount, IF i was careful to file the bottom of the vertical C-More mount smooth. Look and run your fingernail over the bottom surface of your mount. When you combine a dinged-up mount with old brass you get the worst mount-related stovepipes; least problem is a mount that's sanded smooth and new brass with smooth case rims. Also look to see if you are thumbing your slide - if you're not sure, a piece of skateboard or 3M P&P tape will show the thumb rubbing right away. Good luck, my 9x19 open gun had a mini-optic on the slide and ejection was anywhere from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock with a few cases hitting me in the head. Like they say a sideways or offset mount should help a lot.

Edited by eric nielsen

Eric -thanks for that tip about smoothing the underside of the Serendipity C-more mount, wouldn't have thought of that. Not running a 9major, but do get bounce-back stove pipes occasionally (always during a match, never during a practice <_< ) Lowering and opening the ejection port as much as possible and tuning the ejector (per Brazo's guide) got it to about 1/600 or so, but that is still too much. I have wondered why C-more didn't design the bottom of the sight with a slight angle so the cases that hit would bank-shot away from the top of the gun. When I ran Aimpoint sights the tube would get hit by ejected cases occasionally, but they bounced away from the ejection port due to the curvature of the tube.

What I did find was that if I was using nearly new brass that had been exclusively shot in my gun I never had any problems and the brass would literally pile up in a 3' circle if I was shooting a static target, but if I am using old or mixed brass that is where I get the problems. Since getting brass back from local club matches is hit and miss, I generally use the crappy mixed stuff for that...which of course exacerbates the inconsistent ejection and case bounce back issue. I also found that it was really easy to tune the ejector so the case would eject so low they hit the lower lip of the port and bounce up into the bottom of the c-more and sometimes in, stove piping. I found that keeping the "point" of the ejector (per Brazo's guide) between halfway to no more than 1/3 up on the ejector face seemed to be the sweet spot for this gun.

I've used the Brazos tuned ejector in one of my open guns and that helped. Before, it was hitting the bottom of the scope mount and causing jams.

My new gun has a sideways scope mount so no more problems in that area.

Thanks guys, I tuned the ejector to the Brazos pic of 1 third from the top. I need to try it. I am looking into sideways mounts since my plan is to also shoot limited, lowering the dot might help with switching back and forth. I am not sure what mount to buy yet. Can't hurt to try one I guess. I wonder how hard it will be to get those mount screws out from STI they are pretty tight ?

The C-more mounts i filed smooth were an EGW for the 9x21, an Allchin for the Caspian hi-cap; both had an angle away from the ejection port which for sure helped get empty cases out of there, as long as you kept the aluminum smoothed off.

As to why no angle on the Serendipity, I suppose Ira Kay didn't think of it & they've been using the same mold tooling since 1993. The company does have great product support, they were good to me on several occasions. For a small fee and a quick turn-around they can turn a Serendipity into a Slide-Ride.

The C-more mounts i filed smooth were an EGW for the 9x21, an Allchin for the Caspian hi-cap; both had an angle away from the ejection port which for sure helped get empty cases out of there, as long as you kept the aluminum smoothed off.

As to why no angle on the Serendipity, I suppose Ira Kay didn't think of it & they've been using the same mold tooling since 1993. The company does have great product support, they were good to me on several occasions. For a small fee and a quick turn-around they can turn a Serendipity into a Slide-Ride.

You can put a bevel on the edge of a Serendipity to mimic the one sided mounts angled edge

Edited by BrianATL

To get my 9mm to eject with a traditional Cmore and not stovepipe once every couple hundred rounds it took some work. The real magic, and source of the problem was the contact point of the ejector. Things like extractor tension and cmore smoothness can help a bit as the case bounces off the bottom of the cmore. But that is the issue that needs to be fixed.

On my gun it required a shooters connection extended, AND extra HEIGHT ejector. I left the thing at full height, and then milled the needed clearance in the ejector groove of the slide, and then the firing pin stop plate. I profiled the tip of the ejector to have the contact point at the top, thus higher than a normal height ejector allows. I also lowered the ejection port. This setup with an AFTEC, running only the front spring has been flawless.

This was alot of work, but needed for reliable ejection.

Thanks for that so in your case you profiled the ejector to the top. If my 2/3 doesn't work I will go there as a last resort. I really don't want to got to a sideways mount. I feel it limits your vision on the left side. I won't belabor the thread anymore but I may reply with my results after the weekend. Thank again to everyone that replied.