Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bourne Supremecy

BigDave

Saw it last evening on vacation. Gets moving almost immediately and never really lulls. The car chase sceen was worth the price of admission. Best I've seen since Ronin.

Good, straight-up spy flick.

edited: b/c my dumba$$ can't spell

Edited by BigDave

My only complaint was the editing. It suffered from what I call the "Mtv-ization" of movies: the fight scenes were so quickly edited you were hard-pressed to see what was going on.

For an extreme, and really suck-y sight of this in action, see any of Steven Segals later flicks.

The fight scene in the first movie, where the hitman shows up at the apartment, is a great example of a properly-edited fight scene.

In "Supremacy" the editor was trying so hard for the dark, noir-ish look, there were times I wished I could turn up the bightness and contrast controls.

But other than that, good flick.

I didn't feel that there was anything wrong with the camera work - but that's just me, I kind of like this stuff moving fast. I think there was some special taste to the fighting scenes there. (Again - just my .02)

What surprised me is how realistic was the Moscow part. First of all it really was Moscow. Second - Russian language was good for the most part - unlike in some other movies I've seen. But most importantly - the Russian characters, especially the police and taxi drivers. The slang and the facial expressions were so real, they had to be of actual people, not actors. It felt like I actually spent a few minutes in Moscow... and man do I NOT miss it!

Any way, great movie, I think I'll get a DVD when it comes out.

I'm sure it was a good movie....well, it sounded like a good movie. After about half of the movie, I was so screwed up with the "running camera work" I had to close my eyes. I saw several people get up and leave.

My Dad once told me that the characters provide the action in a movie so "HOLD THE CAMERA STILL :wacko: ."

Anyway, I think I'll rent/buy it when it comes out on DVD, I really would like to see the chase scene and I think the motion won't be as bad on the small screen (i hope).

Just call me a wuss,

dj

Just call me a wuss,

dj

Nuh, I'm not gonna call you a wuss... unless you insist of course :)

It's just a matter of perception. And with visual arts the variations are endless, so that one man's garbage can indeed be another man's treasure, right? What I liked in those scenes, was that the pace of the camera somewhat reflected what a fighter sees or feels when fighting in close distance. This of course can also be debated, but it doesn't have to, as long as it is true at least for some people. I think that some people would like to see more of the story and meaning in a movie, while others may appreciate the visual aspects more than the story. There are many different genres in the modern cinematography, and a lot of movies are more or less successfully crossing the boundaries all over the place - go figure...

I also think that there were so many absolutely incredible car chase and fighting scenes in American cinematography that it must be really tough to come up with something new and noteworthy. That's why I have a lot of respect for those who experiment and try totally new things, and baldly go where no movies have gone before... like the "Tetsuo, the Iron Man", right?... nuh, just kidding :) That's the movie that I had to close my eyes too, and it didn't even sound that good either...

Regards.

Vlad (The Other Vlad)

"the pace of the movie reflects what a fighter sees or feels when fighting at close range"...?

We spent a lot of time learning to "defocus" and see everything we needed to see (sound familiar?) when sparring. When I'm fighting (correctly) I see things a lot more like the fight scenes in the first Bourne movie, not the second.

"the pace of the movie reflects what a fighter sees or feels when fighting at close range"...?

We spent a lot of time learning to "defocus" and see everything we needed to see (sound familiar?) when sparring. When I'm fighting (correctly) I see things a lot more like the fight scenes in the first Bourne movie, not the second.

Patrick,

The word "(correctly)" is the key, I think. There is probably always a difference between what one should see vs. what he does actually see. Just like the difference between a plan and an execution of a COF. Well, in my experience, any way. When one executes correctly, thing may look differently. But when you are a movie maker, and you are making a movie for the widest possible audience, I think you probably will want to make sense to the most of the people, not to a few that might know how certain things are really done. And from point of view of most (or some) untrained in martial arts viewers, the fighting scenes may feel quite realistic. And that IMO, was the intent - make it feel like something, rather than look like something.

Coming back to actual sparring, you are probably right - If all you see when sparring is something like that in the movie - you're probably screwed! :wacko::lol::lol::lol:

I was watching the first Bourne film (which I didn't care for) the other night, and noticed that most of the fight secquences were edited in such a way that you really couldn't see what was going on. That just made it all the more annoying. It's the mtv effect, as someone pointed out above.