Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pull on Factory SVI?

I messed around with a factory SVI. The trigger pull wasn't very good. It felt like it was around 5 pounds and it just didn't feel so good.

I was doing searches on trigger jobs and I saw a bunch of posts saying how if you just drop-in an SVI trigger, sear and disconnecter you would get 2 lbs.

Was that factory SVI just a dog? Or does SVI use different parts in their guns to make it lawyer resistant?

What was your SVI/STI trigger like from the factory?

Factory triggers are usually 3- 3.5 pounds or more for liability reasons. For the most part, they don't know who will be using it and I think that we all know someone who would not be a candidate for a 1.5# trigger :D:o

My STI's that came strait from the factory were 3 lbs or so with LOTS of creep.

I have two recently purchuse two SVs and the reset are "dead". Same as my other two club members trigger who purchuse later than me. Not too happy about their trigger.

Send it to Jardine and got it to 2.5lbs with reset so good that pushes my finger out on both SVs and you can hear the "click" sounf from it.

He said that the tri-glide hall bearing has harder hardness of metal that the disconnector. Later on, the disconnector will have a line on it due to the ball bearing.

I will be changing the trigger set to the ones I have on my Valtros by the end of the year which last more than a year now with the same "clicking" reset.

I got a new factory SVI / Infinity Cross Competitor 2011 style pistol this year for IDPA (bushing barrel, stirrup cut slide, standard frame). In the gunbuilder I specified

Hammer: Triple Xcelerated SV

Hammer Finish: Stainless Steel

Strut: Titanium

Triglide System: Yes

Trigger Bow: Stainless Steel

I also spoke with the folks at SVI and made sure they new that the gun was for competition only. When my pistol arrived it came with a nice trigger setup at 1.75 lbs with some take-up, a clean break, and nice overtravel. The reset is positive and normal for a trigger of this weight. I prefer a little less take-up but it's not enough to make me want to strip it down and fix it.

I only have about 1000 rounds through the gun so I don't have any info on durability of the components as of yet.

Soon after I purchased my factory SV I replaced the stock mainspring with a 15 lb ISMI spring. No other bending or polishing has been done by me or anyone else. A few months ago while I had the gun in the shop for another reason I asked him to put the scales to it. 2.7 lb. Nice and clean.

The center arm of the sear spring is what sets the "trigger return" pressure. It sounds like these guns had an incorrectly setup sear spring. From the Jack Weigand "2 1/2 Pound Trigger Pull" Article in Brownell's 1911 Auto Gun Tech section, for a 2.5 lb trigger job there would be 8 oz of pressure on this leg of the spring.

Even if the parts are high quality they still have to be fit and adjusted correctly to generate a good trigger pull. With high quality parts there is just less prep work.

If it were my pistol I would call Tami at SVI and send it back for adjustment. They should come from the factory ready to go, but if there is a problem I'd give the manufacturer the first opportunity to correct the issue.

I was thinking about sending both of them back. But, two more from our club have the same problems. Eric actually try on one of those four. We are talking about 4 SVs total are defects on "trigger reset" right out of the custom gun builder shop.

Chances of getting it right the second time are very slim.

It's like sending a Ferrari to service by mechanics that don't do it right the first time for a come back service. Now not only your Ferrari, but three more Ferraris are having the same problem after the first service. The worst part is, they are the dealer's mechanic. What's the chances of that dealer getting it right the second time?

I am sorry to say that I lost my faith on the "mechanic" of the "dealership".

It's also a hassle to send a whole gun back just to tweak a sear spring. I'd just find a good local gunsmith and get him to fix it.

If you don't mind mailing the whole gun, I'd mail it to Benny Hill. He does great work and has fast turn around time as well.

Guest Larry Cazes

Wow...Thats a bummer. My long dutcover SV .40 limited with ITS and TriGlide was measured at 2.25lbs when I bought it used 9 months ago and was measured at my smith today at approximately the same weight and the reset/overtravel has not changed significantly. It was built about 5 years ago according to the folks at SV and I've put about 8K rounds or so through it with at least twice that amount of cycles in dry fire. Sounds like SV may have changed materials and/or setup since then or there may actually be an issue with component quality that they would want to know about. Are we certain that these were factory built guns? If so, I would let SV make good on them.

• 2 months later...

Well I bought that new factory SVI with the cheesy feeling trigger. It actually got better after dry firing it a couple of times.

I took it to the range today and shot it. Out of 80 rounds the hammer followed about 5 times. :angry:

$2,400.00 for a Kaliban special and the hammer follows. Frick that!!!

Now it's going to be $25.00 more for the UPS overnight shipping back to the factory. Frack!!!