Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone make a 9mm 1911 with a lightened slide

dcmdon

Hi all,

So I've been shooting my DW PM9 and its a great gun. It just annoys me that the slide seems to take for ever to cycle. So I was wondering if anyone made a standard looking single stack 1911 with an internally lightened slide. The idea would be to increase slide speed but have something that wasn't peppered with lightening holes and cuts.

Or if you dont know of any.

I'm open to a 9mm gun WITH lightening holes and cuts. I'm not looking for a $2500 custom gun, but more along the line of a $1200- $1500 high quality production gun.

Any thoughts?

Don

I would think any smith capable of lightening a slide externally could lighten one internally. Just mail someone your slide.

This.

This also assumes that you're already running a 17 lb main spring and a 9 or 10 lb recoil spring.

What weight bullets are you using?

If you're not doing so already, a 115 grain bullet will speed up slide speed along with the lighter springs that were recommended.

Hah. I had not thought of that. My handloads are 147 gr. I like how they feel in my glock. But the Glock slide is about half the weight of the 1911 slide.

This is an obvious first step.

I'm also using AA5. I'm thinking that going to a faster burning powder might help. I'm already using Clays for light .45 loads, maybe this is worth a try.

Edited by dcmdon

What springs are you running? I know my 147gr 135pf loads run my slide way to slow for me in a spartan with stock springs, ive got a #8 and #9 recoil spring on their way to me to fix that, will tri top it if its still not enough

Its a stock Dan Wesson Pointman 9. I don't know what the springs are.

I'll call DW tomorrow to find out.

I typically use federal primers. They're known for being soft. Whats a reasonable main spring to use with them?

What springs are you running? I know my 147gr 135pf loads run my slide way to slow for me in a spartan with stock springs, ive got a #8 and #9 recoil spring on their way to me to fix that, will tri top it if its still not enough

If you have the newer run Spartans the front sight cut is to big to tri top then as I was told