Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Precision CTR-02 or JP-15 upper?

blkbrd

I have decided on a JP Precision upper for Limited/Tactical class IPSC to replace my carbine, Is the trick milled CTR-02 worth the extra $300+ over the milspeck upper JP-15?

I will be going an 18" midweight upper with Cooley comp, and the new lightweight stainless carrier he is getting ready to market.

I really like the looks of the CTR but $$$.

I went through the same decision process last fall and ended up going with the JP-15 upper after spending some time chatting with John Paul and some folks on this board. At that time the JP-15 configured as I wanted it was in stock and ready to ship whereas the CTR was about six weeks out.

My JP-15 will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long if I do my part and I am pretty sure that with the right load and me doing my part a bit better it would go 1/4 MOA. My upper is the 20", Cooley comp, intermediate weight barrel upper.

If you plan on shooting with an ACOG then the scales tip toward the CTR quickly due to the integral ACOG mount.

I have never been sorry I went for the JP-15 upper over the CTR. That being said, I do plan to add a CTR to the collection one of these days. :D

I was faced with the same decision a year ago --- and since cash was a factor, I bought the JP-15 upper. For the limited amount of rifle shooting I do --- occasional sidematches, one or two local three gun matches) it's perfect.

If you're planning on shooting a ton of rifle --- then perhaps the extra $300 up front won't be so bad. Only you can decide this one, grasshopper....

Even if you plan on shooting a ton of rifle, i would spend the moneyu on ammo and range time. It is flat out amazing what a good shooter with a good gun can do versus a poor shooter with a great gun.

Most of us spend far more money on equipment than we need to and far less on ammo and range time than we should. Probably since most of us have more money than free time.

Remeber, it is not the 1/2 or 1/4 ore even 1 MOA that you acheive from a rest that counts, it is what YOU can do while moving through a COF. If you have a 1 MOA gun and you aim exactly at the center of the A-zone at 300 yards, you get an A, if your 1/2 MOA gun is aimed of just a 1/2 MOA, you get a C, make it 1 MOA and you get a D, 2 MOA off your aim point when you let the shot go and you have a Mike. So being able to aim means as much or more than the inherent accuracy of the rifle.

How many of you shooting an Open gun in C class have been beaten by a guy with a Glock in Production? Same thing hold true.

Jim

if your 1/2 MOA gun is aimed off just a 1/2 MOA, you get a C, make it 1 MOA and you get a D, 2 MOA off your aim point when you let the shot go and you have a Mike

Jim,

1 MOA is 3 inches at 300 yards and the A zone is 6 inches wide. Better re-work that math a little there amigo. :rolleyes:

Blkbrd,

As far as the CTR-02 upper receiver goes, if you plan on running an ACOG, the direct mounting feature will be worth it. If not, the JP-15 will probably be fine.

--

Regards,

if your 1/2 MOA gun is aimed off just a 1/2 MOA, you get a C, make it 1 MOA and you get a D, 2 MOA off your aim point when you let the shot go and you have a Mike

Jim,

1 MOA is 3 inches at 300 yards and the A zone is 6 inches wide. Better re-work that math a little there amigo. :rolleyes:

Blkbrd,

As far as the CTR-02 upper receiver goes, if you plan on running an ACOG, the direct mounting feature will be worth it. If not, the JP-15 will probably be fine.

--

Regards,

George,

You are correct it is, but if you are exactly centered with your POA, the 1 MOA will give you a 3" circle of inpact. that leaves you only 1-1/2 left or right to remain in the A-zone. true enough a 1/2 MOA gun will give you a greater magin of error for POA, but if you can't aim, the difference in guns will not help you, and very many stages with carbines are under 100 yards, in fact they are oftern not much longer than larger pistol courses due to the limitations of range bays. So a 1/2 or 1/4 MOA gun does not very much, but practice will make a major difference.

Rob,

I agree they are different divisioins, but most local clubs as you know post the combined scores. And who says a G-35 with 10 round mags and iron sights can't be used in open? I think you got my point? the better shooter with the lesser gun is very likely to beat the lesser shooter withthe better gun.

Jim

you are correct, it is, but if you are exactly centered with your POA, the 1 MOA will give you a 3" circle of inpact. that leaves you only 1-1/2 left or right to remain in the A-zone. true enough a 1/2 MOA gun will give you a greater magin of error for POA

Hi Jim,

Didn’t mean to be a nag, but it was only half as bad as you stated it to be for the half MOA gun. And you are correct too in the second part. To paraphrase the old fishing adage, It ain’t called hitting, it’s called shooting :P

--

Regards,

One of the matches I shoot requires carrying the AR over courses several miles long, I looked at the sharp edges on the CTR-02 and went with the JP-15, which has been awesome. The front edge of the magwell just looks wicked. If JP comes out with a carry bevel treatment, and gets rid of the racing stripes, I may need to add another AR to the safe.