Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LnL AP

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those who use a 550--have you used a L-N-L AP or 650? If not, you may be missing something.

I wouldn't even think of a 550 unless you are so fussy that you want to do EVERYTHING yourself and not let the press work. Any one who likes a 550, over a L-N-L AP or Dillon 650, should prefer a really massive single-stage press even more.

1) Four stations? That is limiting your capabilities and flexibility. Get AT LEAST 5 stations.

2) Manual indexing? It only takes ONE time to forget and boom. With auto-indexing, you almost have to short-stroke on purpose to double charge. I suppose one could say it is a personal issue, but it just seems like auto-indexing is right up there with the RCBS Lock-Out die in terms of protection and safety. No matter what the indexing method, you still need to inspect the inside of every charged case.

Now, If you have REALLY looked at a 550 and have decided that you can not, even in your wildest imagination, EVER see yourself needing a fifth station and you REALLY see no point in auto-indexing and prefer to do it yourself, then the 550 is perfect. At least you have thought about it and consciously decided what you want and can rationally explain your decision to others. You aren't just going on "my buddy likes his 550 so I bought one too."

If re-sell value is what you are looking for, then Dillon is the only game in town. As much as I loved my L-N-L AP, it has no where near the re-sell value of a Dillon (then again, it didn't cost quite as much to begin with).

Of course, I really wonder about people who are willing to pay as much or more for a used press then they are for a brand new press--maybe it is part of the blue Kool-Aid? I know that I am very happy with my 1050s, but they came about almost by pure chance and, if stolen, would probably still be replaced with a single L-N-L and my reloads would be just as good. I don't think those three buying opportunities will ever come up again.

Also, I have used both a 550 and a 650 (both without a case feed) and I would not own EITHER without a case feed. I do not handle cases with my right hand and any press that makes me feed cases into the on-press case feed with my right hand or makes me stand up and fill a plastic tube with cases is NOT a press that I want to own. Add a case feeder, and you now have a press that one can enjoy using.

So, if you DON'T want a case feeder, get a L-N-L AP. It is VERY open and easy to use. Dillons are all more compact and just sort of "closed in." With the basic L-N-L, it is easy to be aware of everything that is happening.

If you do want a case feeder, get a 650 or 1050

If you have thought about it and really want to limit yourself to four stations and manually indexing, get a 550 and case feeder. At least with Dillon, the presses were virtually designed from the ground up for case feeders.

In all cases, the companies have GREAT customer service and make great products. Just know what your want and what you are getting into before making a decision.

Not being one to get caught up in brand loyalty I can honestly say that I really like my LNL and would buy another in a second. Have had some issues with the case feeder in the past but CS has been great and everything is running smoothly now (knock on wood).

Having reloaded on my buddies 550, I would say it is not in league with the LNL.

I agree the Dillon 550 and the Hornady LNL AP aren't even close to being in the same league. The 550 is a 4 Station manual press, the LNL AP is a 5 Station. You can __ONLY__ compare the LNL AP to the Dillon XL 650.

Granted I ended up returning my Hornady LNL AP to Cabela's for the second and final time and then bought a Dillon XL 650. If there wasn't a Dillon 650 or RCBS 2000 Pro with 5 stations and only a Dillon 550 with 4 stations, I'd rather return a Hornady LNL AP 5 times than have a 4 station manual index press. Everyone is different though. Of course, after I got this 2nd one I would of just shipped it back to Hornady and gotten a good one if there wasn't the 650.

I know I just had really bad luck. Like I said that gun store who also sells them wouldn't even sell me anything else for it as he knew it was faulty from the mfg. I also went back to Cabela's and tried out another die set after talking to someone in the reloading section, as I just couldn't image getting two defects in a row from a highly regarded press. He said that it also sounded defective, but thought I might as well try out the new dies.

I always planned on using all 5 stations, so a 4 would not work for me no matter what. Well unless I had a rifle and only shot like 50-100 rounds a year and wanted the absolute best accuracy out to x, with the least amount of recoil.

I am planning on using Station;

#1: Deprimming and sizing die

#2: Dillon Powder Measure and expander

#3: RCBS Lock-Out Die

#4: Hornady Bullet Feeder Die

#5: Seater and Crimping Die

Only because of money, I won't be getting the Dillon Electronic Case Feeder ($208 with 5% off at local place). Later down the line planning on buying it though. If your planning on getting a case feeder with the LNL AP then the Dillon 650 costs exactly the same. You don't need a shell plate with the 650 as it can already come with one in the caliber that you choose (I got the 9mm factory packaged one). $538 with 9mm from factory plus tax. It also says that; [if you ordered your XL 650 for a specific caliber, it comes factory adjusted for that caliber (minus dies) with the appropriate "caliber specific" parts included. In fact, a Dillon technician runs casings and primers through the machine to check its function.] The Dillon 650 already comes with that case tube that you see in the pictures so you can manually load them in. There is no way on the LNL AP that you could do that, so that is a bonus for the Dillon 650 at least. I might look into some PVC tubing or similar and have some cases ready to go. I also plan on getting some tubes (like was planning on getting for the LNL AP) to go over the Hornady Bullet Feeder Die and manually set them in there. I'll buy extra ones and drill a hole and then put a pin on the bottom so I can just pull it out when I want to manually load some more bullets.

Personally I think all progressive auto indexing presses should be 6 station ones, I mean the Dillon 1050 is a 8 station, they must have that many for a reason.

I think the Dillon Square Deal and 550B should have 5 stations, 4 stations I just don't get if it's going to be your only press. They have their uses for 2nd and 3rd presses I'd say though. Since those two do have 4 stations I think they should be at least $100 to $130 less than they are.

Where the LNL AP shines is if you change calibers, there is no way around it, the Dillon caliber changes are more expensive, even if you use the same tool head and just get the XL Caliber Conversion Kits (MSRP for $77.95).

Even after my 2 defective Hornady LNL AP presses, I'd still recommend it. Why, because the positives are very good, their CS is also very good, I just didn't want to wait 2-3 weeks to send it in (on their dime) and get a working one back. I've waited and fooled around enough, just want to get to it. I really like how open the space is between the dies, like someone said, the Dillon is more cramped. The Die Bushing system is a very, very good idea. However I did notice that when you use it the die bushing moves up just a little bit (barely noticeable but it does it) so I guess if your going for professional rifle competition out to 500 yards or more I assume that might make a difference then?

I wanted to say that I paid cash for the LNL AP at Cabela's and they gave me cash back on the spot, most places you have to wait 2-3 weeks for a check if the amount is over $300, so that was very nice.

I forgot, I purchased that PowderFunnels Universal expander for the LNL AP, so if anyone wants that, PM me.

Edited by PC Geek Shooter

The only thing that compares the LNL to the 550 is price.

When I was making a purchase I compared the 650 to the Hornady and one of the huge selling features to me was the dillon had so many more parts, small springs and plastic parts.

I have used customer service twice for my red press and have always spoke with very knowledgeable and profeswsional staff.

Of course the $150 or so I "saved" went to purchasing more primers, powder and lead

I see that you returned your LNL and bought the Dillon. It's a great press and will give you years of service. I know I'm a little late in posting but, here goes:

This question always comes up. It's a tough question as well. Here are MY REASONS for my choice.

I have loaded on the Hornady LNL, Dillon SDB, 550, 650 and, 1050. I currently own a Hornady LNL and a Dillon SDB. Based on my experience;

- Customer Service is equal between Hornady and Dillon

- The ease of caliber changes is a toss up between the LNL and 550. Caliber changes are harder on the 650. Changes on a 1050 is MUCH more involved.

- The Powder measure is OK on the Dillon. Works well with ball and flake type powder. Not so well with extruded or "stick" type powder

- The Powder on the LNL is BETTER. Works well with ball and flake type powder. Extruded or "stick" type powder is MUCH BETTER, not perfect but, much better than the Dillon powder measure.

- On Dillon presses, cases are held in place by "pins". For my fingers, this requires needle-nose pliers or large tweezers to remove the pin in order to remove a case from the shell plate.

- On the LNL, cases are held in place with a large spring retainer. It is VERY EASY to remove a case from the shell plate.

- On Dillon (Without a case feeder) you feed empty cases with your right had and feed bullets with your left hand. You operate the press with your right hand. TO ME, this is very awkward.

- On a LNL you feed empty cases AND bullets with your left hand and your right hand never leaves the press lever. TO ME, this is very natural.

- On Dillon, your bullet is seated at the BACK of the press and it is difficult to look into the case prior to seating bullets.

- On the LNL your bullet is seated at the FRONT of the press and it is VERY easy to look into each case prior to seating bullets.

- Handleing spent primers is MUCH better on the LNL. They drop through the press into a tube that can be placed in a trash can. It's very clean system.

- Dillon spent primers fall into a cup under the press. The press gets dirty and fouled with primer ash.

BOTH COMPANIES make an outstanding product. You will be satisfied with either. However, since they operated so differently, I recommend you try before you buy. And, that is difficult. Good Luck!

have the lnl and now have blue press envy. My old roommate had a 650 and it was good to go as soon as he got it set up. Have had lingering problems with mine, so much so that i almost believe that i loaded faster on my lee classic turret after we became one....... :D

So confused now.... im planning on a case feeder in the future if our round count goes up. But for now it'll only be the press. Guess I need to find someone who has a LnL ap and check it out. Most retailers I've called and asked about the LnL ap say it nickel and dimes you once you buy all the small stuff that Dillon includes, ie- expanders, primer warning system, etc.....

So confused now.... im planning on a case feeder in the future if our round count goes up. But for now it'll only be the press. Guess I need to find someone who has a LnL ap and check it out. Most retailers I've called and asked about the LnL ap say it nickel and dimes you once you buy all the small stuff that Dillon includes, ie- expanders, primer warning system, etc.....

I first loaded on a 550, then I bought LnL and no case feeder, and that is a fairly smooth process. I later loaded on a buddy's 650. It's been a while since I counted it up but from what I recall: Once you add it all up, LnL is perhaps a bit less than 650, but difference is probably negligible. The 650 has some features that are better than LnL, and the Lnl has some features that are better than 650. I'm not sure that expanders are included with 650. On LnL, the stick that is on top of the primers in the tube will catch the primer shuttle when all primers are gone, and you will know when that happens. The Dillon primer warning system is...of minimal value relative to cost. The Dillon audible powder check system is good and useful (checks powder in the case). The audible powder check is probably better than visually checking the LnL powder cop when the ram is in up position. I look at the powder cop each time the ram is up, nothing else to look at anyway, and it has saved me from a squib several times. The squibs come from a disruption in procedure or (very rarely) because powder in powder measure runs out. Without a case feeder, the Hornady is better to use than the 650.

IMHO, either of these will serve you will. On this board you can find people who have had both and opinions run both ways.

On LnL, the stick that is on top of the primers in the tube will catch the primer shuttle when all primers are gone, and you will know when that happens.

There's an alarm for that...... :devil:

Yes, I think Inline Fabrication sells one set-up for LnL, and some other interesting LnL AP gear. I have one of their roller handles and it is great.

I have neither, but I'm planning on getting a 650 when I can. I'm loading on a Lee Classic Turret right now.

Anyway, I would recommend watching these videos, it might help you decide.

http://ultimatereloader.com

If you're only loading a small volume at a time (50-100), I would seriously take a look at the LCT press. Mine has been great to me and it's only $200. Great press for the money, but I max out at about 150 rounds an hour. The auto-indexing is a great feature, I wouldn't get a press without it.

Edited by polizei1

What's the life expectancy of the LnL ap compared to the 550B? Will Hornady rebuild the press for free like dillon offers?

Not sure if this was answered, but my dad has an older Hornady press with around 300,000 rounds on it. After fiddling with it I realized the components were worn down to the point it wouldn't index sharply or precisely as well as feed primers reliably. I called hornady and they said to box it up and they will rebuild it for free. I don't think you need to worry about wearing these machines out.

My experience with Hornady CS has kept me a customer. Anytime a part breaks I have a replacement within the week.

Honestly I do like my Hornady single stage press. My biggest problem is internet overload. I would like a true 5 stage progressive press. The dillon 650 is way out of my budget. I've talked to retailers that sell both and usually they tell me to buy blue and not get nickel and dimed by the Hornady. The dillon seems to include more for the money with the caliber changeovers. Maybe I'll risk it and buy the Hornady. Seems the press has some better options for the money and I do like the ability to add whatever die I want instead of a whole toolhead. With my low round count it might be the better option.

I like the RCBS dies. They work great, and a little less money then Dillon or Redding.

I have a LNL AP. It has worked from day one with no problems.

I also have the case feeder, and it has also worked great, but I spend the extra time setting up the press to start with.

Some times, I think press problems are pilot error and not the fault of the press.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but Hornady will give you 500 free bullets when you buy their press.

The cost of jacketed bullets makes the LNL about the same price as the Lee Loadmaster.

Either the Dillon or the Hornady will serve you well, just keep them clean and take the time to set them up from the start.

If you get a Dillon, I would highly recommend getting it from Brian. He is a great guy and will take good care of you.