Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide wont lock open

tires2burn

I have started to put them on some of my 1911's also. You might want to take a look and see if the slide stop hits/rubs against the plunger tube, or the top part of your left grip. Make sure they are free and not touching. Other than that I am going to tell you to take it to a Smith.

I had to take my grip down to get the right clearance and it is fine in that area. If you compare both slide releases the wilson is different where it contacts the mag. I will try my original mag next time at the range with the wilson slide release and then if I still have a problem I'll change out the wilson release and see what I get.

What Carmony said!

If you really want to keep the extended slide stop, take the thumb safety/slide stop spring out of the frame and see if the slide will lock back. Can you EASILY push the slide stop up into the notch in the frame while holding the slide back into the correct position (take the recoil spring out of the gun first)? Not binding in the frame or slide while thumbing it up? Is there a dimple already drilled into the face of the slide stop where the plunger/spring contacts the slide stop? If so, how deep? Too deep will keep the plunger locked in place and the slide stop cannot be pushed up by the follower in the magazine.

Pat

I checked how the slide lock worked without the slide on and it was ok. Put the slide back on with a mag in ,racked it and no lock up. I pulled out the slide lock and filed the notch where it snaps into the mag just a little deeper and it seems to be working now. Going to the range now to try all options. Original lever and mag. I know that combo works. Wilson lever and wilson mag. Get the results back to you soon.

A certain % of people like for the slide to drop when a mag is slammed in, makes the reloads a little faster. Usually - but not always - it won't release when mag is inserted in usual manner (non slammed) but will release when mag "slammed" in.

You might try it, you might like it.