Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting your new truck's windshield cracked!

TDean

Yep, just past the 327 mile mark on the 2002 Silverado Z71 LT and thinking how coincidental that it happen to be the exact cubic inch displacement of the engine when......CRACK!!...a gravel truck comming the other way peppered my truck!cussing.gif

Insurance says "it's in a bad spot at eyelevel, so we'll have to replace it..."

$150 deductable bawl.gif

Welcome to Eastern Washington / Northern Idaho!!!  After a while, you'll get used to it.  Most natives don't bother changing windshields.  What's the point?  It'll only be ruined again next winter.  :)

Eric

I just called the windsheild replacement guys right before I checked this forum.  A passenger in a pick-up that was headed in the opposite direction from my old van tossed a LARGE styrofoam cup full of frozen soda at my windsheild.  They got away before I could get turned around to chase them or even see a license plate number.  I was doing about 45 and if we assume they were doing the same and tack on a little energy for the guys throw thats a 90+mph ice missle into my windsheild!  Major cracks all up and down and my rearview mirror shooting back at me while I try to come to a stop.

Rage doesn't begin to describe my reaction.  $250 for a new windsheild would've bought a lot of more entertaining things (like ammo;-).

I suppose I am just happy that no one got hurt but I HATE those guys!

• 3 months later...

I think I was blessed with magnetic windows for rocks.

My '96 Tacoma got it 6 months after I got it new...funny now I think of it my '99 Ranger got it at about 6 months new too.

The cool thing I learned was that a local glass company will do a replacement and PAY your deductible.  I don't know what they end up getting from State Farm, but I don't care.  My second winshield was free!  A very good price.

We have a local shooter who drove his 3 DAY old(2001) car to the match. It was parked where everyone parks and when he left he discovered a .45 200 grain had put a big dent and almost a hole in the trunk. It looked deep and long enough that could have been a ricochet not fallout. Wear your eye protection and armor.

Fairly new car, nice cold morning.

Drive to market up the road in pissed off mood. SLAM the door and watch rear window explode. $500?.

Then I check insurance all windows covered $50 deductable. MUCH BETTER MOOD.

Now close doors real soft.

If you lived in Florida, it is state law that the insurance companies replace your windshield free, with no deductable. Go ahead, throw something at my windshield. After I throw something back I will just go get a new one. You won't like what I throw back. When someone attempts murder on me or my family it could get really ugly.

I have long had the policy of waiting for 3 "stars" before replacing the glass.

Although one time I was mowing the lawn and the lawn mower threw a rock and it hit the rear fixed panel of glass on my Ford Explorer. Ouch.