Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

flaming comp action

ErikW

post-2671-1191354802.jpgJP's Cooley Comp.

A little teaser from my AR comp article. Next issue of Front Sight

I have one of the Rolling Thunder that I think Mr. Hill will be happy with within the pages of our Journal.

I post a full size copy here after it hits your mailbox.

Patrick

I stopped using 3n38 because of the flash. It distracted me way to much. If you shoot 3n38 with a tarp to catch the brass you will see why it flashes. You would be suprised at how much powder is not burned. It does not matter how you crimp, load length it just does not burn all of the powder. It builds up in the comp and boom boom bang flash. My gun was new so it was not a shot out barrel.

video of mine:

Sorry for the thread drift but I have a question, or maybe a concern. :blink: My 1st open gun is on order, and my powder (3n38) is in transit. I had no idea that there would be this kind of flare up from the comp. It seems like it would be hard to pick up your dot or stay with your dot behind the fireball. If this turns out to be a problem maybe a larger dot? :huh: It certainly didn't seem to bother Pat the way he ran that stage. :cheers:

DonT

Sorry for the thread drift but I have a question, or maybe a concern. :blink: My 1st open gun is on order, and my powder (3n38) is in transit. I had no idea that there would be this kind of flare up from the comp. It seems like it would be hard to pick up your dot or stay with your dot behind the fireball. If this turns out to be a problem maybe a larger dot? :huh: It certainly didn't seem to bother Pat the way he ran that stage. :cheers:

DonT

Don't worry about it, you won't notice a thing.

LOL You just gotta love watching a new shooter standing around watching someone running an open gun throwing mushroom clouds like that. In all honesty I know my gun does something like that too (Longshot powder) but I never really notice it. Shooting with a ball cap down pretty low over my eyes so that when I am shooting the bill is not far above the top of my C-More. Meaning most of the fireball is hidden by the bill of my cap. lol Hey, whatever works you know? I see just a hint of the flash through the C-More but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Joe W.

PS my avitar here is me shooting my .45 Open gun for bowling pins with Longshot behind a 185 grain hollow point. LOL

There was a Speer .38+p load I shot once out of a 4" revolver that gave the coolest ring effect at the muzzle (from my perspective) looked like a flaming donut on the end of the gun.

I gotta find the video from the Guelph Open in around '98. they had an indoor stage that you needed a flashlight to find the first targets, it was pretty dark. I told the RO I didn't need it as my comp would light things up enough for me but he said it was in the stage description :( Needless to say it was a pretty illuminating experience, and the best part is I got a reshoot so we had it video taped twice, one in regular and one on night vision...way cool