Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High variance with Hornady PTX powder drop

Hi

This might be a hard to describe. I may have the nomenclature wrong for some of the things I'm trying to describe, so please bear with me.

I'm using a Hornady LnL AP with a Hornady powder drop and PTX (powder-thru-expander) die.

I'm getting too much variance in how much powder it drops. Let's say I think I have it dialed in for 3.8 grains. Once in every 20 rounds I'll get a charge as low as 3.3 grains. It's noticeable in the next station, which is a Hornady powder cop die.

I'm trying to use the same force and rythm on the handle.

To make matters more complicated, I can also get higher charge (but I think have that figured out.) In order to bell the case like I want, I have had to adjust the powder drop die to the point that rotor actuates slightly when the shell plate and handle are in the raised position even if there is no case. No powder is released, but the rotor moves a ~20 degrees through its arc. That seems to be loading more powder in the metering insert. So if I'm working on setting up the OAL in the crimp and raise the handle 6 times (thereby moving the powder drop rotor 20 degrees each time) in order to adjust the crimp. Now the charge when I finally put a case under the powder drop will have increased from 3.8 to 4.2. Once I realized what was going on I was able to eliminate these higher charges by making sure that the first case through the powder drop station got emptied out, and then weighing the next three or four. Ultimately, though, it's unsafe.

1) Any idea why I might be getting an occasional low charge?

2) Is it normal to have the rotor arm actuate slightly even when there's no case there? I have to think not, as that would seem to be a design flaw. I will say adjusting the PTX isn't the easiest thing, so I'm guessing that I don't have it adjusted correctly.

I'm using WST powder.

Thanks.

Edited by Leozinho

My friends and I have never had luck with the PTX die. If I recall correctly, there are some aftermarket ones that work better, but I've never tried.

I quickly abandoned it and ditched the powder cop to compensate. I simply visually look in the cases for reasonableness.

I load 9mm with W231, so its pretty easy to see an over or under charged case

Edited by Onagoth

Make sure you don't have any static electricity build up. Its happens from filling and emptying the powder measure.

Get a dryer sheet and wipe the inside and outside of the power dispenser.

Yes it moves a litte when no case is in, but not enough to drop any powder for sure.

You should not have to preload the powder measure to get it to activate fully. Even with the PTX. Call Hornady, describe the problem. They have a PTX limiter that might help you. I gave up on the PTX mostly because it was a PITA compared to the Dillon. I never use a powder cop. Especially the Hornady. It takes your eyes off the case and puts them up on top of the tool head. I prefer to look in the case and not way up there all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, the PTX turned a great, fool proof powder dispensing system into a troublesome PITA. Damaged case mouths, stuck cases, inconsistent charge weights. Probably just me but I ran out of patience after a month or so and dumped the PTX for a standard expander die. No more problems I'll soon switch from 40 S&W to 9mm and since I have the .355 PTX I'll probably try it again.

Could always try the powderfunnels.com ptx die. One size fits most all pistol calibers, I have one on mine and it works great. For the PTX to work correctly, I think you need the latest arm setup for your powder measure, along with one of these brackets if you already knew that, disregard.

From my other post:

One other thing you might consider, RCBS came out with powder funnels that expands & bells the mouth like a Dillon funnel does. It should fit inside the LNL powder die & function the way the PTX funnels should have. It is designed to work the case activated linkage kits for Hornady & RCBS powder measures.

Here is a link to one for .45 caliber, there are other calibers available.

Could always try the powderfunnels.com ptx die. One size fits most all pistol calibers, I have one on mine and it works great. For the PTX to work correctly, I think you need the latest arm setup for your powder measure, along with one of these brackets if you already knew that, disregard.

+1 on using the Powderfunnel.com funnel. I have two of them, and they work great. BUT, you need the linkage mentioned above to make sure you get a consistent bell. You might also not get consisent powder drops because the powder drop is not hitting a hard stop, except for the case mouth.

Also, You might try putting a baffle in the powder hopper. In later models, I belive Hornady provided one. I made mine out of thin alum flashing can using a template from Uncle Nick's Powder Baffle Template

Also get the new slider link thingy. It allows you to adjust the PTX bell without fussing with the whole assembly. Fits on the bolts that hold the spring, and has an adjustment screw.

I've got one for each caliber I reload. Works great.