Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lower receiver? Billet or forged?

tenchu74

I'm looking to get a 3 gun rifle and was thinking of going with the JP15. This would be my first AR based rifle even though i've owned others, Sig, AK, XCR, FAL. When I started looking at other rifles I noticed some of these come with a Billet lower that has a flared mag well. The JP15 does not. I know their CTR rifle does but I dont want to spend that much. I actually have a cmmg forged mil spec lower that I was going to send in to have them build the JP15 on to further keep the price down.

My question is, is a lower with a flared mag well that much faster or better? Or is it not that big of a deal and many of you do well in 3 gun without it? Thanks.

I do not think it makes much difference. Most of the time I never even do a mag change on a rifle stage....when I do, I really do not think a flare/magwell would cut down my time much. Given the choice I would get stick with a forged lower.

I have both style of JP lowers. First of all there is no difference in accuracy, my forged JP is every bit as accurate as the fancier billet. I do like the bling factor of the CTR02 though. It looks different from all the rest out there. Now as for an advantage? If your going to use coupled 30 rounders, yes, you can make a mag change much easier with a billet lower with the magwell. But you can also just use an extended magazine and not have to reload at all.

So go with what you like and can afford. Know that you won't be cheated out of anything by going with the forged lower.

Carl

The only difference should be weight, with the billet weighing more

If you go the forged route, there are always items like arredondos magwell

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm looking to get a 3 gun rifle and was thinking of going with the JP15. This would be my first AR based rifle even though i've owned others, Sig, AK, XCR, FAL. When I started looking at other rifles I noticed some of these come with a Billet lower that has a flared mag well. The JP15 does not. I know their CTR rifle does but I dont want to spend that much. I actually have a cmmg forged mil spec lower that I was going to send in to have them build the JP15 on to further keep the price down.

My question is, is a lower with a flared mag well that much faster or better? Or is it not that big of a deal and many of you do well in 3 gun without it? Thanks.

First off you almost never reload with a rifle. You generally use larger mags on larger stages. Secondly I have found that a flared magwell does not help much. About the only time I reload is when using my coupled mags and without a flared magwell I can reload in 1.8 seconds. The other time I reload is from the belt when something went wrong. I would just get the JP15.

Pat

I've owned both billet and forged, and well.... I sold the Billets and I'm sticking with the forged. There's really not much if any advantage to Billet over forged other than looks.

Tenchu74, I humbly recommend you buy that JP15 and rejoice in a wonderful rifle at a reasonable cost. I own a billet rifle but think very highly of JP15. I've watched them in action first hand and see the quality and reliability. They do everything you need. I wanted more "flash" to my rifle's appearance. OK, I was indulgent. Guilty as charged. My rifle looks like a 21st century Cylon Slayer. It's what I wanted and I paid more for it. You don't have to make that aesthetic choice. I get no functional benefit for 3-gun with my billet rifle, to my knowledge. It just looks way cool to me.:ph34r:

JP15, my friend. I almost bought one myself.

I'm not a rifle guy but I found myself mosseying on through this sub-fo because I'm entertaining the purchase of a JP rifle at some point down the road.

All I can say is that I am amazed and astonished at the honesty of the responses to this thread. I know I shouldn't be, because I've found that honest responses are the case forum wide. Many times when after an expensive purchase, there is a need to justify it even if, as some responses indicate, there is no advantage to spending more dough.

Props to you rifle dudes. :cheers: