Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canyon Creek 3lb XDM Trigger

canadianbacon

I tried to install a new front sight on my XDM 5.25, but after having to dremel out the old one and putting a scratch on the dovetail edge I got frustrated and decided to send it to Canyon Creek.

I decided to have them go ahead and do a 3lb competition trigger while it is there. I haven't sent it off yet because I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Is his trigger job USPSA production legal?

2. How is the trigger job done? Is it accomplished by manipulating spring weights? If so, will the trigger job eventually "go away" when I have to replace worn-out springs if they have been manipulated?

Thanks in advance

The trigger job is legal for Production(USPSA), IPSC has a weight restriction of 5#.

The trigger job is done by modifying the factory parts and replacing some springs if needed to reach a specified pull weight. Parts and springs can wear out no matter who's trigger job it is. Highest known round count on a trigger job that CC did was 190,000 rounds before parts were replaced, springs were replaced(sear-trigger bar-firing pin) during it's use when they showed signs of weakening. All of the small parts were removed at the 190K mark just to have them to show how they wear.

Rich

The trigger job is legal for Production(USPSA), IPSC has a weight restriction of 5#.

The trigger job is done by modifying the factory parts and replacing some springs if needed to reach a specified pull weight. Parts and springs can wear out no matter who's trigger job it is. Highest known round count on a trigger job that CC did was 190,000 rounds before parts were replaced, springs were replaced(sear-trigger bar-firing pin) during it's use when they showed signs of weakening. All of the small parts were removed at the 190K mark just to have them to show how they wear.

Rich

Thanks, I was hoping you'd be the one to answer :cheers:

Is there a way to know what spring weights to replace the parts with when they wear out to keep the 3lb pull?

Edited by canadianbacon

I have three guns done by Rich - others can do triggers, Rich is the Zen master of doing guns. I cannot speak for the other big two (SA did my trigger on my XD Tactical and it is ok) but Rich is the most aware and the place - the only place I would go.

That being said, with the change in USPSA on trigger pull, I may have to shell out more $$ to go from 2.5 t0 3.0 after the first of the year since the rule changes on initial pull. Still waiting to see how all that comes about and then how much it will cost me.

I over-nighted it this evening, should be there tomorrow. It will be the 9mm 5.25 with no front sight and scratches on the side right by the dovetail lol,

thought about selecting the re-finishing option but decided to leave it to remind me to send you my other 2 XDM's instead of trying to work on them myself lol

I had a guy at the Pro-Am, bragging about his trigger on his XDM done by a newer company...not Springer or PRP or the SA Custom Shop

I said lets walk over to the safe table...tried it, handed it back to him....handed him my 2.5 lb from CC

His words..."Oh My"

:)

• 4 months later...

Any updates on your trigger work? I pick up my XDM on Friday, going to shoot it in a match on Sunday and sending it somewhere, haven't decided where yet, to get the trigger done. Still debating on CC or SP. both seem to have a loyal followers and both are very active on this site. I definitely want to support the vendors on this site. Making the switch from Glock.... I'm am so excited I can hardly stand it!

Any updates on your trigger work? I pick up my XDM on Friday, going to shoot it in a match on Sunday and sending it somewhere, haven't decided where yet, to get the trigger done. Still debating on CC or SP. both seem to have a loyal followers and both are very active on this site. I definitely want to support the vendors on this site. Making the switch from Glock.... I'm am so excited I can hardly stand it!

The only thing I can suggest to you is to find a local match or two and ask if any of the members have a Springer Precision enhanced or a Canyon Creek enhanced XDm that they would let you try the trigger out at the Safety Table. I would suggest to make sure that the firearm was enhanced by SP or CC and not the gun owner or other gunsmith (there is a noticeable difference). This will let you compare the two side by side to help you make your decision. I was able to do this and went with the CC option because it just felt better to me. There was one member in my club who had both.

Both companies are great!!! Really just depends which one is the one you like. And there are other options also. They all accomplish the "trigger job" using diffferent methods.

I received my USPSA Limited enhanced XDm 5.25 from CC recently and it just puts a smile on my face everytime I get to shoot it.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

The only thing I can suggest to you is to find a local match or two and ask if any of the members have a Springer Precision enhanced or a Canyon Creek enhanced XDm that they would let you try the trigger out at the Safety Table. I would suggest to make sure that the firearm was enhanced by SP or CC and not the gun owner or other gunsmith (there is a noticeable difference). This will let you compare the two side by side to help you make your decision. I was able to do this and went with the CC option because it just felt better to me. There was one member in my club who had both.

Both companies are great!!! Really just depends which one is the one you like. And there are other options also. They all accomplish the "trigger job" using diffferent methods.

I received my USPSA Limited enhanced XDm 5.25 from CC recently and it just puts a smile on my face everytime I get to shoot it.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

szhttm, do you remember whose trigger job, SP or CC, disengage the sear with the trigger further back? (closer to the rear of the frame) I have small hands, so on 1911s, i like short trigger. Just trying to find something similar on the XDMs. Thank you.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

szhttm, do you remember whose trigger job, SP or CC, disengage the sear with the trigger further back? (closer to the rear of the frame) I have small hands, so on 1911s, i like short trigger. Just trying to find something similar on the XDMs. Thank you.

That is a great question!!! I have to apologize as I don't remember. I would recommend calling each one of them as they can probably provide detailed measurements of their work / capabilities.

Have you tried the XDm with the smallest backstrap option to see if that will help you in your efforts? I would suggest to try all three before making any modifications to your firearm to determine which one allows you to shoot it the best. Any modifications done after will just enhance your shooting of that specific firearm.

I have the largest backstrap on my Limited enhanced XDm 5.25 40s&w because I found it to be the best for me, and my wife shoots it pretty well also considering she is small with small hands.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!