Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good smith for Ruger Mark II

Having problems with my Ruger MKII (.22) pistol jamming 10-20% of the time (1-2 rd per mag on average). The bullets would typically "stick" inside the chamber after firing - just cleaned the gun yesterday, so don't think carbon / gunk was a contributing factor. Was very reliable for many years and this just started - any ideas?

I assume pretty much any decent smith could ID / fix the problem? I just use it for a plinker (not competition) so not looking to spend a big wad of cash.

Ruger parts are cheap and they do wear out. I would change out the extractor for sure and probably the firing pin and all associated springs. I've had to do this to mine before and it worked like new afterward. It's pretty easy to do with almost no tools!

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

If you still want a gunsmith, check out Clark Custom guns in Louisiana. Check out his website because the Rugers are one of their specialties. www.clarkcustomguns.com

Sounds like maybe it got dry fired and peened a little metal into the chamber under the firing pin. If that is what happened, it's easy to fix by running a chamber reamer in there or just smooth it off with a round file.

Full auto

Same thing happened to mine a couple years back. Squared up the extractor with a smooth file and scraped the rough edge from the chamber near the extractor cut. Fixed it right up.

- john

Edited to fix spelling errors from this darn autocomplete software. LoL

Edited by practical_man

Check the extractor tension (and hook)... After about 20k rounds through one of mine I started seeing some issues... Replaced the extractor and back to good to go!

Have you called Ruger? One of the mk3s I bought had bad stovepipe issues early on...they fixed it for me.

Edited by Rambo

Sounds like maybe it got dry fired and peened a little metal into the chamber under the firing pin. If that is what happened, it's easy to fix by running a chamber reamer in there or just smooth it off with a round file.

That shouldn't be the case. There is a stop built it to keep the firing pin from traveling to far foreward on those, also on 10/22's. I was having light strikes on one pistol and two rifles and slotted the oval for it to travel a few thousandths more and cleared up the issue. It was my ammo and I had a ton of it. Extractor would be my guess.

Thanks for all the great feedback. A new volquartsen extractor fixed the problem. I even purchased / installed a new volquartsen accurizing kit for the MKII and the trigger is now SO much nicer than the old factory trigger. This is my first time using Volquartsen parts and I couldn't be happier.

I was so pleased with the MKII parts that yesterday I ordered a Volquartsen 10/22 trigger pack - life is too short to shoot a crappy trigger. :cheers:

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter