Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up a Versa Max Tactical?

gcoller

Well I am diving in head first with 3 gun. My shotgun came in today that I will be using. Its a Versa Max Tactical with 22" barrel and 8+1. I am a newbie to 3 gun competitions and I know this gun was made to be an out of the box competition gun but does anyone have any reccomendations on setups or mods I should do before my first competition. Does anybody have any experience using these at competitions?

I've had mine for a couple weeks now. I opened and extended the load port and tuned the shell catch to make loading easier. It loads like I'm shoving sticks of butter in it now. Some people will swear you need the carrier welded. That really depends on how you load. Sometimes the welded carrier will cause feeding issues. I also took the sharp edges off the slot in the carrier and the tips of the forks. When I get a chance i'll post a picture. I also found the mid-bead too large for my taste, so I removed it.

Eta- If you have never shot a match before, I would recommend you shoot it for a while first and see what mods will benefit YOU the most before you alter the gun too much. The gun is highly adjustable for fit, so you might want to get someone to help you adjust it, unless you already know how.

Edited by assaulter

Thanks for the advice. I will shoot it a few times to figure out what type of adjustments I need to make. I it will be nice when you post the pictures so I can actually see what you were talking about. Sounds like your mods have made loading alot easier.

... tuned the shell catch to make loading easier...

How did you tune the shell catch - like a Benelli (by bending), or did you tweak the spring(s), or some other approach?

I would advise against "bending" the shell latch as you are changing shell feeding geometry.

To reduce spring tension and make loading easier cut the "U" notches deeper.

Pat,

I picked up one of these 2 weeks ago also. I have opened up the loading port and have a welded up carrier on the way. I to need to lighten up the shell catch. Where is the "U" notch you are talking about?

Scott

The shell latch (last versa max I had in my hands had it) has two opposing cuts on the end closest to the

magazine tube. They are there to allow the shell latch to flex when loading the gun.

The FN SX2 SX3 have an actual "hinge" or pivot point in the same location.

Pat,

I picked up one of these 2 weeks ago also. I have opened up the loading port and have a welded up carrier on the way. I to need to lighten up the shell catch. Where is the "U" notch you are talking about?

Scott

I tried out a VersaMax this past weekend thanks to Dave Merryman. I am very impressed with how it handled and the lack of recoil. The little pitch-forked bastard that lifts the shells to the carrier bit me hard though. I have used unmodified carriers in both Benelli and FN and neither hurt me like this one. The VM is a great shotgun, but in my opinion the carrier must be welded or it will draw blood.

The Tactical can almost hold 9 shells as is. A 1.5" extension should make the tube hold 9 easily. Alas, the Tactical extended tube has a different thread pattern!

Nordic needs to make a 1.5" end cap to fit the Tactical. Add an extended choke and you are good to go for 9+1!

Mick

I did what Pat said. I used a small diameter chainsaw file. It opened them up perfectly.

Gcoller, you can definitely clip a few coils off that factory magazine tube spring too. It's the devil!

I dont have any gunsmithing experience. Is clipping the coils off the factory magazine tube spring difficult? Can anyone post pictures showing where and how this is done?

I tried out a VersaMax this past weekend thanks to Dave Merryman. I am very impressed with how it handled and the lack of recoil. The little pitch-forked bastard that lifts the shells to the carrier bit me hard though. I have used unmodified carriers in both Benelli and FN and neither hurt me like this one. The VM is a great shotgun, but in my opinion the carrier must be welded or it will draw blood.

[/quote

The little pitch fork that lifts the shell and bit you is the only fix for this problem welding the carrier up?

The shell latch (last versa max I had in my hands had it) has two opposing cuts on the end closest to the

magazine tube. They are there to allow the shell latch to flex when loading the gun.

The FN SX2 SX3 have an actual "hinge" or pivot point in the same location.

Pat,

Scott

Ill check on it tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks,

The little pitch fork that lifts the shell and bit you is the only fix for this problem welding the carrier up?

I think Keith Garcia mentioned in a YouTube video that he somehow polished the lifter edges and the gun was ready to run, in his opinion. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I adore my Versa Max 26" and have shot the Tactical at a charity "side stage" last month. Have C-rums weld you a lifter. It's like $40 plus shipping. The stock lifters on the Versa Max family are evil. That is my only complaint about the VM and a super easy fix.

I did what Pat said. I used a small diameter chainsaw file. It opened them up perfectly.

Gcoller, you can definitely clip a few coils off that factory magazine tube spring too. It's the devil!

I dont have any gunsmithing experience. Is clipping the coils off the factory magazine tube spring difficult? Can anyone post pictures showing where and how this is done?

just use a pair wire cutters or lineman plier's to cut off the coils and just make a small bend where cut the spring so it is not pointing up and getting caught on the cap as you screw the cap on. also just try a few coils at a time. if you cut too many it will not fully push out the last shell.