Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber tolerances 9mm major

Chris iliff

Can a 9mm major chamber wear out and if so, how many rounds? Is there a way to check it.

I've got an Fte problem. Round ejects about 1/4, extractor rips off. Have to beat ejected round out with squib rod. I use Winchester brass, mostly once fired, I'm sure some are more. I've noticed a bulge on one side a little up from base, like it's been Glocked. All brass is run through an automatic sizer plus the dillon sizing die on my press. Barrel is STI Brazos Thundercomp II. I'm estimating 30-40 thousand rounds total through Barrel.

I'm getting about one FTE every 150-200 rounds and have recently replaced extractor thinking this was the ticket, nope. I also thought my chamber was super dirty as the rounds seemed to be super glued in it about 1/4 ejected. Chamber is super clean now, still doing it.

I now think the chamber might be worn and it's bulging during firing and hanging up. I don't even know if this is possible. I find it hard to believe I could wear it out this quick. I'd think the barrel itself would go before the chamber, but the gun is still super accurate if I do my part. I simply don't know.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Chris iliff

Chris, could your load have drifted without you catching it? Have you chronoed the batch of ammo that is not ejecting?

40k does not seem like enough to wear out a chamber.

Hello: Take a note on what type of brass is hanging up. Some brass has a little thinner wall than others so that may be some of your problem. I would also check the chamber really well looking for any brass that has picked up in the chamber. Lastly check to see if the chamber was cut too deep. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Chris, could your load have drifted without you catching it? Have you chronoed the batch of ammo that is not ejecting?

40k does not seem like enough to wear out a chamber.

I check my load often and it is good. Thanks, but keep thinking for me.

Hello: Take a note on what type of brass is hanging up. Some brass has a little thinner wall than others so that may be some of your problem. I would also check the chamber really well looking for any brass that has picked up in the chamber. Lastly check to see if the chamber was cut too deep. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I only use Winchester. I get them locally from a commercial reloader. He gets them from various indoor ranges and police ranges. He has an automatic push through sizer that he runs everything through ( it takes all bulges out ) and it sizes it from the bottom up. This brass is all Winchester and pristine clean. I then run it through my 650 and it gets sized again with a dillon Die.

I was thinking that it might be brass that has been shot through Glocks. Maybe more than once as no one can really guarantee once fired unless they did the firing. So eventhough it's pristine looking (my brass guy is the best) its weak at the base?

I just don't know if it could possibly be anything else. I'm no smith, that's for sure.

I only use Winchester. I get them locally from a commercial reloader. He gets them from various indoor ranges and police ranges. He has an automatic push through sizer that he runs everything through ( it takes all bulges out ) and it sizes it from the bottom up. This brass is all Winchester and pristine clean. I then run it through my 650 and it gets sized again with a dillon Die.

How much force does it take to get the case out?

Also is the rim getting swaged or rolled from the push sizer?

Did this start with this brass?

Get 500 new Winchesters and see if you fix your problem.

I've got 1,000 new starline and that will be my next test. I've been using this exact setup (brass) for over a year and this problem just surfaced in the last month or so.

It takes quite a bit of force to get one out I can't do it even by hand using my slide racker, got to whack slide racker on a ledge or wall section. Typically, I can lock the slide back and use a squib rod and tap it out.

Edited by Chris iliff

Called Gary. Had a good conversation and learned a lot. Spent some time measuring the brass and diagnosing solutions.

Gun is going to him as soon as my new barrel arrives. I'm bummed about it, but it's best.

I did a test using brand new Starline brass and they all ended up bulged, not good. Appears my chamber is whacked.

I haven't kept real good records of rounds shot. I'm guessing 40,000 at a minimum, probably closer to 60,000.

Tons of factors determine barrel/chamber life. It's not hard and fast. Some barrels can go +200,000 rounds. Some well known barrel makers state 10,000-15,000 in their literature.

I've learned it's definitely not hard and fast!

Edited by Chris iliff

Sound like you are not checking your brass with a magnet! I shot some brass washed steel cases at the Gator 2 years ago. The Aftec would rip the rim right off the case. But nope had to drive them out. I had two of these at that match, and didn't know till I got home and put a magnet to the ones we drove out.

Now I check the brass after it goes thru the case pro. A final check is made when they are put in the Dillon cases.

Ooh in my case the barrel had about 500 rounds on it, it now has a few thousand with no problems.

The look like brass but they are not.

CocoBolo

All my brass is Winchester. Not aware that they produced any steel cases.

Also

On a side note: the chamber is out of speck and I've ordered Brazos' Trubore STI barrel with SX comp, one piece, This just happens to be the same barrel thats currently in it. Would you recommend any holes in the barrel with this setup? It's a full size, lightened slide (10oz), 9lb recoil, 17 main. 7.3gr Autocomp, MG 124gr CMJ, 1.165 OAL. I know you have done lots of testing and such with Open guns so I was hoping for your opinion.

Thanks for any thoughts.

9e65134c.jpg

Edited by Chris iliff

Chris

I do indeed. Gary talked me into two 9/32 holes on my second build. I like it better than my orig set up. I don't notice anymore noise but the gun is flatter and tracks better as well.

What barrel and comp you running?

I know there isn't a holy grail. I have been running my setup since I made the switch to 9 three or 4 seasons ago. It's one of the reasons I bought the same barrel again from Brazos. I've always wondered if I should have got the holes the first time. Now it's going back to Gan's, I'm wondering again? I just don't want any funky dot movement. I want it straight up and down. I've heard it can get weird with holes, but I don't know. If it will just minimize the up and down a little I'll do it.

CocoBolo

All my brass is Winchester. Not aware that they produced any steel cases.

Also

On a side note: the chamber is out of speck and I've ordered Brazos' Trubore STI barrel with SX comp, one piece, This just happens to be the same barrel thats currently in it. Would you recommend any holes in the barrel with this setup? It's a full size, lightened slide (10oz), 9lb recoil, 17 main. 7.3gr Autocomp, MG 124gr CMJ, 1.165 OAL. I know you have done lots of testing and such with Open guns so I was hoping for your opinion.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I happen to agree with David Rea's write up he did last year on his new Brazos gun. He started with no holes and then went with holes. As he explains and I noticed The effect of the holes is to reduce the amount of rise that happens in the beginning of Recoil. While this was a 38S, and not 9 major, the two calibers behave very similiary. I have guns with both 9 and 38 barrels and comps, and I could swap them out and you wouldn't know which one you are shooting. Albiet the loads are different.

I will go on record as saying any TruBore comp from STI will benefit from one or more poppel holes, its just under comped. The Brazos cut is a bit better, but in the end it is a lot about your skill level and preferences. In a 9 major I would not go beyond 2 #3 holes, and as you might have noticed the Brazos guns sport 4 smaller poppel holes. These appear to be effective, and the same might well work for 9 major. David is one of the most "scientific" shooters I know, he says it improves dot tracking, and I've seen this in my supers as well.

On the issue of Lound, yes, all poppel holes are louder, some of them are filling shakers depending on the powder. You will have to bump the load a bit with the holes, and you may want to expirement with slower powders. AutoComp works well, HS6 is a bit slower, Silhouette works best for me, but I have run AA#7 (10gr), and my next testing will be with 3N38.

As for WIn brass, testing with a magnet won't hurt the brass and you might just find something in the mix you missed. It only takes a few seconds and it is worth the peace of mind. I get suprised all the time with 9 mm brass, brands I didn't think had crimped pockets. . As the cost of "rare earth metals" increases we are going to see more brass washed steel and other alloys.

I also take the unnecessary step to roll all of my 9 mm brass thru a casePro, and drop check it after loading. You would be suprised at my reject bucket. Once fired brass that splits on loading, just little stuff like that. A little extra ocd on ammo makes matches smoother.

I say Drill it! It will take a bit to get use to the new feel, but it should track better and be a bit flatter.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'm gonna drill it and I'll let Gary (Gan's) determine the size holes and #. Thanks again.

If you are loading 115s now--don't do popple holes. If running 121/124s , two popple holes are great for a 5.5 inch barrel and that comp in Major 9.

STI barrels require more powder to make major. I am talking the same powder/brass/bullet. An STI barrel will be 20FPS slower. Significant difference when loading for major 9 with popple holes.

Since you are getting a new barrel and comp--Think about a standard barrel (not STI) and the same comp in cone style. You drop significant weight off the gun.

Larry

The barrel is a standard STI Trubore that Brazos buys as a blank. Brazos then cuts their SX comp into it. In addition, it is significantly lighter than a standard Trubore barrel when they are done.

It's the exact barrel I'm using now, minus the holes. I know I could get a lighter barrel/comp combo, but this will be less $$ as my slide is already blended to this set up. And, this setup is a good compromise in weight. Basically, it's the easiest and least expensive fix.

I just don't have the time and $$ right now to have my druthers.

The barrel is a standard STI Trubore that Brazos buys as a blank. Brazos then cuts their SX comp into it. In addition, it is significantly lighter than a standard Trubore barrel when they are done.

It's the exact barrel I'm using now, minus the holes. I know I could get a lighter barrel/comp combo, but this will be less $$ as my slide is already blended to this set up. And, this setup is a good compromise in weight. Basically, it's the easiest and least expensive fix.

I just don't have the time and $$ right now to have my druthers.

The weight difference is insignificant over a cone set up. Cone guns react slightly different than bull guns, I've got both and they are twins the bull gun dot movement is a bit smoother and recoil seems slightly less. Yes a bit more weight and that may be good, put an aluminum guide rod in and they are about the same balance and weight.

It's the exact barrel I'm using now, minus the holes. I know I could get a lighter barrel/comp combo, but this will be less $ as my slide is already blended to this set up. And, this setup is a good compromise in weight. Basically, it's the easiest and least expensive fix.

I just don't have the time and $ right now to have my druthers.

Chris,

Brazos does not lighten the barrel--He does lighten the comp. I really like his comps and use nothing else, just giving you some info.

Larry

It's the exact barrel I'm using now, minus the holes. I know I could get a lighter barrel/comp combo, but this will be less $ as my slide is already blended to this set up. And, this setup is a good compromise in weight. Basically, it's the easiest and least expensive fix.

The weight difference is insignificant over a cone set up. Cone guns react slightly different than bull guns, I've got both and they are twins the bull gun dot movement is a bit smoother and recoil seems slightly less. Yes a bit more weight and that may be good, put an aluminum guide rod in and they are about the same balance and weight.

Have to disagree with you. There is a significant weight difference between a standard barrel and a bull. The Brazos cone in SX is about an 1 1/2 oz lighter than most cone comps. :sight::D

The added advantage is putting the weight in your hand versus nose heavy. I run aluminum guide rods in both configurations also, but I like a light gun.

I understand your decision and it is cheaper to fit the the Trubor/Comp combo to a gun that was previously a Trubor barrel.

See you at Indiana :). Good luck!

I appreciate all input. Main concern is getting it done and in my hands before 12th. Thank goodness GANs does not fart around and I'm confident I'll get it back in time for some "getting used to" practice.

On a side note. I shot a match and managed no FTE's. Whew!!!! It's averaging 1 death lockup every couple hundred rounds or so!!

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.