Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this normal

RC1

Hi,

I am a first year shooter and am preparing for an up coming sectional match.

I have been double-checking my load to ensure that it makes major. Got a new batch of powder and have been working with it the last couple of days and I thought that I have got it about where it should be. This morning I tested my results and found that it was shooting just at a 168 PF. That is just what I was trying to accomplish, I went about zeroing my gun and doing a little practice. Before going home I thought that I would crono them again just to make sure. After the gun had been shot a bit and gotten hotter the velocity dropped from 1348 fps to 1326 fps which just makes major.

Is this normal? Is there a problem that I don't know about? Should I adjust my load a bit hotter so as to make sure I make major?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Rick

What's got me curious is that for a 168 PF and a 1348 muzzle velocity, your bullet weight is 124.62 grains. Are you using a 125 by chance? Just curious. If so, at 1326, you're at 165 PF.

I wouldn't sweat it. That's 22 fps (i.e. less than 2% drop in velocity) and you're still making major (although barely). My guess is a bad powder charge.

If you're really concerned, drop another .2 grains of powder in and you're good to go.

However, as short_round (a.k.a. "The Answer" :D ) has asked what powder? What bullet? What chrono?

Rich

Thanks

I am using 9.3 3n38, zero 125 jhp, wsrp, 1.160 OAL, win brass

These were 5rnd groups.

Before practice: 1347, 1351, 1342, 1347,1353. SD 4.2

After practice: 1324, 1326, 1325, 1314, 1328. SD 7.7

Thanks

Rick

Because of the Voo-Doo, I try to load to 170pf. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to notice the difference between 165 and 170 without shooting them back to back and once again, it's all in what you get used to. At 170, I feel pretty comfortable walking up to most any chrono stage and passing with flying colors.

technically speaking, (sounds good doesn't it :rolleyes: ) when your barrel heats up enough, it will expand which will cause your bullet to actually pass more gas......This isn't going where I thought it would so I will just stop ;)

Anyway, as our host and others have said, it's VooDoo

dj

AET Barrel? Had the same problem with Hornady bullets. Switched to FMJ Zero's and the problem went away. I think the barrel heats up and then the base of the bullet doesn't seal as well since it is totallt enclosed. The FMJ's seem to expand the base of the bullet and gets a consistent seal. Other problem could be sun angle with the Chrono. Now I only use the IR screens.

I have seen hot guns chrono slower than cold guns. Very curious. Just make sure you have a bit of a PF cushion just in case.

Curious?? Hotter barrel..more expanded, less friction...curious?? Lower pressure...,???

Fysics???

Henny :ph34r:

Interesting! I ussually see a slight increase in velocity as the gun heats up (also on very hot days). I've switched powders and the problem went away.

I see the same thing. Only my slight increase is like 50-60fps. :blink: Powder is W231 in .45acp loads.

I'm gonna try a different powder and see what happens. Hopefully I can get this down to about 20fps.

-jon

rick, listen to the advise and load to 170 pf. that gun will shoot flatter at 170 and you won't have to worry about the chrono stage. i run mine at 172 all the time and we are shooting the exact same setup. good shooting, j.l. hardy