Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 inch barrels

Dragon11

I'm wanting to get a six inch barrel for my 625. Didn't know of many options on where to buy one so I could get it installed on my current four inch 625. Want a full lug or slab sided barrel and will eventually get two of them so that both of my guns are set up the same. Any ideas on where to browse websites or where to buy one would be great.

I've seen some custom revo barrels done by Frank Glenn. Nice stuff. Most of the established shops should be able to set you up. I wouldn't necessarily recommend going to whomever has the fanciest website, though--some of the better revo guys aren't all that internet savvy.

So here is my next question. I am open to options on the type of 6 inch barrel I well get. However, I like the diameters and shape of the stock full lug barrels on the 625's with the 4 and 5 barrels. Is it possible to find a 6 inch thats the same as the 4 and 5s, and if not, can someone make it like that. I am a little concerned with the price of having all that machine work done also. And lastly, has anyone ever heard of getting 629 44 magnum barrel in a 6 inch, and converting it to a 45 acp for my 625's. I know there is alot of different angles I am working here, but I just want to look at al of my options before I do this.

As you read down through this thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138996&hl=646&st=0 you will find post #17, where someone took a 686 barrel and sent it to Clearwater Reboring (www.deltagunshop.com)and had it bored to .40 cal. Your idea of taking a barrel from a model 629 and having it rebored might be possible. I suggest sending them an e-mail checking the viability of the rebore and the associated cost.

I know there is alot of different angles I am working here, but I just want to look at al of my options before I do this.

Here are two additional angles we haven't discussed:

1. Trade your 4" 625 for a 25-2.

2. Be happy with your 5" 625, and just shoot.

Either of these angles probably makes more sense in the long run, and will cost you a whole lot less money! :D

One good thing and one bad thing. The good thing is that I think thats a good idea and would enjoy shooting a 25-2. The bad thing is that now I have to tell Phil Griggs he was right all along, and will never me able to live with him ever again, he's already an annoying dude! Thanks for the advice Mike, that honestly sounds like a winning plan.

Keep in mind that 25-2s usually need jacketed bullets to shoot decently. I've never viewed this as an issue, as I "outgrew" shooting cast bullets through my revolvers several years ago. Life is too short for cheap cigars and cast bullets, if you ask me! :D

I know you said cast but have you seen any problems with the coated bullets like the Bayou, its what I currently use. Also, I believe the 25-2 is a square but, does Hogue make the rubber big but grips to fit the square but, I have seen them for the round but frames, but wasn't sure of the square buts, if that is the case for the 25-2.

Not sure on the coated bullets--maybe somebody else can chime in on this.

Yes, 25-2s are all square-butt guns. It's not terribly difficult to round-butt them with a big belt-sander or grinding wheel.

I talked to North Mountain today and they sell the big butt rubber grips for the square butt. So I could either modify it like Carmoney suggested or just get the appropriate grip. I really like the Bayou bullets, would like to see if they work first, and then will look at the option of switching to jacketed if I have to. I started looking for a 25-2 and found a couple on Gunbroker today. If I can find one locally I'll do that first and then get one from Gunbroker or somewhere else. As always I appreciate all the help. Will keep you posted.

I talked to North Mountain today and they sell the big butt rubber grips for the square butt. So I could either modify it like Carmoney suggested or just get the appropriate grip. I really like the Bayou bullets, would like to see if they work first, and then will look at the option of switching to jacketed if I have to. I started looking for a 25-2 and found a couple on Gunbroker today. If I can find one locally I'll do that first and then get one from Gunbroker or somewhere else. As always I appreciate all the help. Will keep you posted.

On some mod 25's the cyl throats were oversize and accuracy was not good in those particular guns. I bought one in 45 Colt w/ an 8 3/8" barrel that was one of "those" guns that shot patterns rather than groups. I had the barrel turned in and a .45 Ti cyl fitted to it. That solved the accuracy issue in a big way - it will shoot almost one hole groups at 20 yds. off hand. No exaggeration, just the way it turned out. As for bullets, I have used lead, berry's plated, Buyou, Billy, and jacketed. None stand out as being inaccurate. I think changing the cyl took care of that. If you do get a 25 in ACP that lags in accuracy, you could try a new SS cylinder. That might take care of the issues. To do it over again, I think I'd like a 6 or 6 1/2" barrel better than the 8". But not enough to cut mine down. I use a blad-tech competition holster that I modified a bit. As for the square grip, I have Jerry's grips for it and a couple of Hogues. Hogue makes most of their grips in both Rd and Sq. Good luck w/ your quest.

On some mod 25's the cyl throats were oversize and accuracy was not good in those particular guns. I bought one in 45 Colt w/ an 8 3/8" barrel that was one of "those" guns that shot patterns rather than groups. I had the barrel turned in and a .45 Ti cyl fitted to it. That solved the accuracy issue in a big way - it will shoot almost one hole groups at 20 yds. off hand. No exaggeration, just the way it turned out. As for bullets, I have used lead, berry's plated, Buyou, Billy, and jacketed. None stand out as being inaccurate. I think changing the cyl took care of that. If you do get a 25 in ACP that lags in accuracy, you could try a new SS cylinder. That might take care of the issues. To do it over again, I think I'd like a 6 or 6 1/2" barrel better than the 8". But not enough to cut mine down. I use a blad-tech competition holster that I modified a bit. As for the square grip, I have Jerry's grips for it and a couple of Hogues. Hogue makes most of their grips in both Rd and Sq. Good luck w/ your quest.

I am using a borrowed "model of 1955" 6" right now with a ti cylinder and likewise it is superbly accurate, like almost hard to believe.

4.1 clays, 230 berrys, 1.250 col is making 740 fps in it.

I have a question since we're talking about barrels. I'm just curious if anybody knows what type of barrel John Bagakis has on his 627 or 625. I noticed that it doesn't look like there is a lug on the bottom of the barrel. And if there isn't a lug, what does the ejector rod connect to on the end if anything?

I have a question since we're talking about barrels. I'm just curious if anybody knows what type of barrel John Bagakis has on his 627 or 625. I noticed that it doesn't look like there is a lug on the bottom of the barrel. And if there isn't a lug, what does the ejector rod connect to on the end if anything?

he posts here under his own name, message him and let us know.

John's barrel for his 625 was custom made (the one you can see in pics from some of the shooting shows). A model 25-2 barrel will fit right onto your 625 no problem. Here's my GM 625 with a 6" 25-2 barrel, I had Tom Hubbard install.

DSC01179.jpg

I got mine at numerich's Numerich's S&W 45 On page 5 there is a 45 acp barrel 6 inch for about $175. A little searching and you may find one a little cheaper, maybe . later rdd

• 1 month later...