Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 acp and small primers

usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been answered some where else but has anyone chronoed the difference between SP compared to

LP?

A while back I loaded up some test batches of Zero 230gr JHP using CCI LP, Wolf LP, Magtech LP, and CCI SP.

Wolf and Magtech gave the same avg velocity with the Wolf having a larger ES (72 vs 34).

CCI LP lost 25fps relative to the above.

CCI SP lost another 18fps relative to CCI LP.

These were all loaded in the same session, same OAL, same powder charge.

• 3 weeks later...

I pick up a lot of range brass. Two to three out of 100 cases will be small primer. I visually sort them and throw the small primer brass away. Switching primer tools and tubes is not worth the effort.

just picked up 10k range pickup from a friend who has his own gun range. sorting it is a PITA, but on the bright side so far over half of em have been speer nickel plated large primer and only 15 small primers so far. This is gonna take a while but at 3.5 cents each i couldnt beat it with a stick!

I would just like to know what sorry S O B came up with this BS. Talk about a pain in the A$$. Been reloading 36+ years now I have sort brass by primer size? Geees louise.

It's the same SOB who developer calibers other than the 45... like 40 and 9mm and 38 Super. Now we all have to sort!