Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen this!

MattBurkett

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We should really have a shallow simpleton forum for folks like me that aren't deep, and cannot be made to grasp their own lack of deepitude. A sort of, "Look at the monkey! Look at the monkey!" type place.

I still can't figure out my Benos T-shirt!

Joe Hyams tells this story about working with Kenpo Karate master Ed Parker:

Parker got up from behind the desk and with a piece of chalk drew a line on the floor about five feet long. "How can you make this line shorter?" he asked. I studied the line and gave him several answers, including cutting the line in many pieces. He shook his head and drew a second line, longer than the first. "Now how does the first line look? "Shorter,'' I said. Parker nodded. "It is always better to improve and strengthen your own line or knowledge than to try and cut your opponent's line."

• 1 month later...
Joe Hyams tells this story about working with Kenpo Karate master Ed Parker:

Parker got up from behind the desk and with a piece of chalk drew a line on the floor about five feet long. "How can you make this line shorter?" he asked. I studied the line and gave him several answers, including cutting the line in many pieces. He shook his head and drew a second line, longer than the first. "Now how does the first line look? "Shorter,'' I said. Parker nodded. "It is always better to improve and strengthen your own line or knowledge than to try and cut your opponent's line."

short_round has the answer to my Aug 28th post

If telepathic comunication could be developed either naturally or artificially to move a person's concepts, experiences and ideas rather than language or images or sounds into the mind of another person, that would be the perfect type of comunication. No margin for misinterpretation. The flipside its just that. Where would be the variations of those concepts and ideas, the guy that says "no, it's not like that". If you have a whole concept or idea or experience transplanted into your mind, you'd see, interpret or feel that particular thing exactly as the person that originated it. That would suck.

As for the whole line thing... I would argue the validity of "making" something shorter (or longer or whatever) by comparison.

And regarding the here, go, went, here I am, I'm not, etc.

It needs to be defined what these terms are, and which part of your whole "being" has a priority to define "where you are", because several parts of yourself can be at several places at the same time.

Let's take the example of myself writing this. My physical self is at a specific point in the material universe, if only for a very short time (since the earth and galaxies and stuff I'm attached to is in constant motion); at the same time, my conscious mind is focused on translating my ideas to yet another plane, that being the virtual world we all inhabit, the forum. Also at the same time, who knows where the crap my soul, the conection between my physical and mental me to the energy that moves that same physical and mental dimension is. This was just a quick analysis to make a point, there may very well be more "you's" in different planes of existence. The point is you are at several places at once, but just don't notice it.

What brings another question... What if all those "you's" coincide in a single place? Place being a physical location, a time location, a mind location, etc. What then?

Just think about it. When you put more than one you into something, like when you are capable to synchronize your mind and your body together, you are capable of great things; so what would happen if all of your "you's" synchronize together?

Damn this stuff is difficult to get into words!!! :wacko:

Pierruiggi is on to something here. I have always felt that communication of ones ideas is and should be somewhat inexact to allow for the interpretation of anothers experience set while still allowing the message to move across in some viable manner. Electronic data systems and most analog technologies are quite intolerant of error as any significant percentage of the process. This is what makes most technology rigorous and unbending in application and requireing of a large framework of support infrastructure to exist.

Closest possible approximation is the best term I can apply to our actual process of communication. We all have different symbol sets and lookup processes in our noggins from the different programming schemas of our upbringings. The process of installing a lot of parallel reference in a whole lot of us is what allows most technology to function (read repetitive training process until a critical mass of devotees is achieved). Not elegant would be the simplest way of putting that for me.

The concept of a flavor of interpretation being involved in all communication is what makes it more of an art and less of a science among us at a lower level. As much as I do love science in process, I am still in awe of the powers of biological logic to interpret and correlate in manners that are inexplicable by linear logic process alone.

The error correcting capabilities of our intellect are incredible, as are the error generating possibilities B)

--

Regards,

Nice post George! B)

......and then we have the ubiquitous symbol of slicing ones index finger across ones throat......pretty much universally understood. I'll bet even the aliens that crashed at Roswell figured that one out. ;)

How about the process, the path taken?

To draw upon another analogy, wouldn't it be great to read the handwritten drafts of some of the great works of literature, actually seeing the progress made by the writer in the corrections, additions and deletions. A word processor may be efficient, but reveals nothing of the process of creation or discovery.

I may never get IT, I may never make master, but that doesn't mean that my journey towards those goals is not worth taking, and does not have meaning to me.

I tried using an algebraic calculator for my match homework once in high school. The teacher said in a very loud voice to me, verbatim” I don’t give a damn if you are right or wrong mister, I wanna‘ see the ***damned work!”

The path is the goal

--

Regards,

• 8 months later...
"Excuse me, Sir!  Can you tell me what time it is?", a concerned young man asked with urgency in his voice.

"Hmmmm, let's see, right now, it's actually..... the present". 

The young man looked puzzled and a little angry.

Seeing his confusion, the old gent replied, "What other time is there, son?"

Rearrange the question, same words different meaning:

What time is it?

Time what is it?