Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody polish powder measure charge bar?

I pull stick powders loading 30-06 and polished the funnel which seems to help with the problems associated with that type powder. I didnt polish the charge bar but I did polish the aluminum track that it runs in. Dont remove metal only break the rough castings so that they shine some.

Operation of the powder measure will coat things with graphite from the powder and do the same job I performed with some Never-Dull.

Have used Flitz to polish bar and housing. As was said don't remove material just smooting things out. Have also done the inside funnel part of the powder container.

Most definitely. I polish the inside of the powder drop funnel, charge bar and sides of primer bar. Just males sense to me that is everything is polished it will run smoother.

Yep I polish the funnel, the bar, and as much inside and around the bar as possible. You may find it quicker if you lightly sand with 600g the bar prior to polishing as it will save you a tone of time. I used a dremel with various polishing wheels and the one that looks like a bullet with the white polishing compound found at Northern Tool. Looks like a mirror.

I have done both my pistol and rifle funnels.

Edited by Trident

The powder bars have a baked-on teflon coating on them. You might get a thick spot once in a while, but generally we recommend only wiping the bars off with alcohol.

Yep I polish the funnel, the bar, and as much inside and around the bar as possible. You may find it quicker if you lightly sand with 600g the bar prior to polishing as it will save you a tone of time. I used a dremel with various polishing wheels and the one that looks like a bullet with the white polishing compound found at Northern Tool. Looks like a mirror.

Why would you bother to sand off a Teflon finish which is slicker than a polished metal surface and will last a helluva lot longer? :blink:

Pat

The powder bars have a baked-on teflon coating on them. You might get a thick spot once in a while, but generally we recommend only wiping the bars off with alcohol.

Why would you bother to sand off a Teflon finish which is slicker than a polished metal surface and will last a helluva lot longer? :blink:

Pat

First, can you explain how you know, with certainty, that the Teflon finish is both slicker than polished and will last longer?

Second, I have a new unit a month old and two separate powder funnels and all have silver measure bars so I can't comment on black ones.

So there are silver and black bars? Please eleborate.

Black bars, if magnetic, are of sintered steel, and are blued. If non-magnetic, then they are teflon-coated.The type of teflon changed a few years ago, from black to silver, when we changed coating companies. We also use different colored teflon to easily distinguish between some unusual bars, such as the magnum powder bar.

Black bars, if magnetic, are of sintered steel, and are blued. If non-magnetic, then they are teflon-coated.The type of teflon changed a few years ago, from black to silver, when we changed coating companies. We also use different colored teflon to easily distinguish between some unusual bars, such as the magnum powder bar.

So when where these being issued and what are you currently shipping with new units? What is available? Which work better?

My new unit, and extra funnel, both are silver aluminum with a rough textured surface on the sides.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the new powder funnel today for the first time after polishing everything with a Dremel and a coat of car wax. I loaded N320, H335, BL-C2 and Varget and each loaded within .1 consistently with no problems.

+! on the graphite. I have several Dillon loaders, SDB and 550s. I just hit them with some graphite at several points of interest including the power measure areas and use them. Kind of like a Glock trigger, the more you use, the smother they get!